17# One last respite

Subaru brought his hand to his mouth, spreading water around it, liquifying the dried blood from his previous nosebleed. Tiny reddish drops fell from his chin, splashing meekly on the slippery white porcelain.

Subaru stared at himself through one of the restroom mirrors. There was still red on his face. Julius knew how to wield a sword, that much was true. He was more than a stuck up noble. And sincerely, Subaru knew the guy didn't deserve the criticism he had given. At least not all of it.

Subaru again opened the faucet and brought water to his face. Careful not to stain his blue vest (or his already stained shirt).

Subaru grunted. He had to make up for what he said as soon as he could. In part, because it was right, and largely because he didn't want Emilia to be a target for Anastasia's camp at the very beginning.

As Subaru thought about the business girl, an alarming memory came to him. One, about future outcomes... dictated by Roswaal... written down: 'Get Crusch and Anastasia to help you hunting the White Whale'.

Then, a sudden feeling of vertigo assaulted him. HE HAD TO APOLOGIZE NOW!!! THE FUTURE WAS AT STAKE!!!

Subaru rushed in a panic to the restroom door, face still dripping with water. As he violently opened the door, Reinhard came to view. But before anything could be said, Subaru quickly circled around him and ran.

- Subaru?! - the crimson-haired called.

- No time for that! I have to apologize! - he shouted across the hallway.

- Oh... - Reinhard muttered. - Then, I guess that makes us two - he said, as he started trotting towards the fleeing boy.

As Subaru ran, he oriented himself. The exit was near. He would just have to turn around a handful of times before getting out, and reach the spot where all carriages were. Anastasia said she was busy, so she would likely go ride hers as soon as possible. And if she had not gone yet, she would eventually.

In a minute, he reached the main door. And there, he went to see the carriages. There was people checking the vehicles, feeding the animals, moving out... None was Julius or Anastasia.

Subaru came closer for a better look and no one there was of importance. Subaru was late.

He loudly groaned, bringing his hand to his face. Should he kill himself, and try again?

- Subaru - called Reinhard, at a distance.

Subaru turned to face him. What now?

- I came here to apologize - Reinhard explained saddened, finally standing in front of him.

- I! - Subaru emphasized pointing at himself. - Have to go see Julius and apologize!

- Subaru... It's fine - Reinhard told him. - You can go tomorrow. I think we all are a little tired and need rest for the evening. Specially you and Julius.

Subaru was a bit taken back with those arguments. Besides, Julius could be less cooperative as of now, given everything that had just happened. But things were hanging by a thread, and fixing it as soon as possible was the best option.

Subaru then came closer to Reinhard.

- Reinhard - Subaru whispered. - I have insulted him and his mistress. I have to apologize now before it's too late.

Reinhard gave him an empathetic smile, and held him by the shoulders.

- The only people who know that, is me, Felix, Julius, and yourself. No one else - he reassured Subaru. - None of us would be so lowly as to spread the word. I know Julius, and he will keep this under wraps. Even from his mistress.