Part 2

Jake managed the space for the dinner as MC prepared everything in the kitchen: she pulled the meals out into plates and bowls and platters, cut the bread, prepared tea in giant mugs; since it wasn't that easy to make tea at the moment, it'd be best to have as much as possible at once.

Once she was ready with the food and drinks, she walked to the living room to check if she could start bringing them in.

"Jake? Can I already...? Oh!"

She stopped, floored, upon seeing the table dressed in a tablecloth, candles, and some decorations he'd collected from around the room.

Her eyes slid along the laid table, making her cheeks tingle. Was it just her, or did it look like a romantic setting? With chairs on the opposite sides, the candles, the fireplace nearby... Yes. Definitely like on a date.

"Is this okay?" Jake asked suddenly, making her jump as he spoke right from behind her.

"More than! Just... why do you keep trying to give me a heart attack?" MC laughed nervously, shaking her head to get rid of the intrusive thought from before. She had no idea if that was what he wanted. "Okay. I'll bring the food."

"I'll give you a hand."

They carried the dishes together and MC provided wine glasses in silence, lost in thought. She passed the wine opener to Jake and tried to go back to the kitchen, but was stopped.

"MC?" Jake dropped the wine opener on the table and took a step towards her; he took her hand gently. A spark flew between them and they both widened their eyes, betraying that they both felt it. "Uh. Did, did you—"

"Yeah." She whispered.

"But that's not... um. Are you angry that I came? You look upset."

"What? Never." She gazed up into his eyes and reached out to touch his face with her other hand. Yet, she hesitated; she'd noticed how much he disliked being touched before when she'd hugged him.

Yet, Jake brought her closer and her hand landed against his cheek anyway. He leaned into her palm, staring down at the woman with intensity, although she had no idea if it was due to the darkness and he was trying to see her face well, or for another reason altogether.

Still, she smiled softly. "How could I be? I've been waiting so long to meet you."

"I have, too." He whispered.

"I am amazed and thrilled you're here."

He smiled, making her knees soft.

"Jake, you have no idea how much I—"

Suddenly, like in the worst kind of comedy that gives the viewer shivers of shame, her stomach growled.

They stared at each other for a few seconds before they both burst out laughing.

"Damn. Awkward." She murmured, embarrassed. She felt like crying due to the humiliation, but Jake turned his face to kiss her wrist softly.

"You did warn me you were hungry."

Her hand fell down to her side and she looked anywhere but at the man, timid. "Let's, let's sit down."

"I'll add to the fire first."

He did, illuminating the room more.

Once it was done, he sat down in front of the woman and his breath hitched.

He realized what she had before: how much of a date it felt like.

Especially now that he could see her face behind the candles and her big, trusting eyes gazing at him. She looked beautiful, lit up by the candlelight in absolute darkness apart from it.