Chapter 16 ~café~

Narrator's POV

The day progressed normally. Ezaki greeted Kaito when he returned home. Everything went as expected. The next day came, and he had to go back to school. Kaito was awoken by the dim sunlight that seeped through the curtains and landed on his face.

"I should've closed the curtains properly last night."

Kaito muttered to himself.

"Too bright..."

He got out of bed, dressed, and went to school. It had been his daily routine to get up and go to school with his new friends. Everything was calm and pleasant. Kaito wishes things could stay like this, at least for a bit longer.

Yuki greeted him when he arrived at school.

"Good morning, Kaito"

He seemed... shy?

'What's the matter with him? Did his brain malfunction? '

While retaining a polite smile on his face, Kaito pondered.

"Good morning, as well."

Kaito replied, still smiling, as that was the polite thing to do, then walked past him to head to his classroom. Yuki trailed him closely behind. Hikaru and the others who were with him a split second earlier had vanished into thin air.

"Traitors."

Kaito grumbled under his breath, keeping a calm demeanor while he asked Yuki if something happened, leading him to find him.

"Nothing occurred. I simply want to find you. Can't I? I'm the prince. I am free to do whatever I choose.

'The arrogant prince is back again.' What a lovely way to start the day, Kaito thinks as he sighs.

The teacher came in and began class.

"We'll continue learning about our empire's history today. You'll also have to do a group project, but I'll tell you more about it later. Now turn to page 34 of your book. Let's get started. "

The class was filled with whispers about the project; they were considering who they should pair up with or what it was about. Stares turn to Yuki in the hopes of matching him up with him.Kaito dismisses this as yet another bothersome homework assignment, assuming that, like in the past, he will be the one to do all of the work. With a small sigh, he concentrates on the teacher.

As the lesson draws to a close, the teacher begins to explain the project.

"There will be two members in each group. You'll have to do more research on the era we discussed today and write a report on what you discover or learn. You can choose your partner, but there will be no fighting. I want you to be more mature this time, unlike last time, when you all ended up in detention."

As the teacher gathered his belongings and exited the classroom, the bell rang.

Students swarmed towards Yuki when the teacher left, wanting to partner up with him. Yuki was surrounded by people. Most of them were girls, though it's to be expected. Still, Yuki looked displeased. He fixed his gaze on Kaito, who was gathering his belongings and preparing to leave.

"Kaito, wait."

"Yes, your highness?"

"Your Highness?"

Yuki inquired. He sounded perplexed. Kaito used to call him by his first name, most likely to anger him, but Yuki didn't mind. He thought it was pleasant.

"Is there something wrong?"

Kaito was irritated, but he managed to keep a small smile on his face.

"Team up with me."