Chapter 13 ~rooftop incident~

Narrator's pov

Kaito forgot about someone who was waiting for him when he was out with his friends. Ezaki was anxious at home since his master hadn't arrived yet.

"Did he get kidnapped? Is he all right?"

Ezaki was concerned about Kaito; he wanted to go search for him himself. Kaito arrived home just as he was ready to leave. He knew he was in trouble when he saw a troubled and angry Ezaki. Ezaki was enraged, but he was also worried about Kaito. He began scolding Kaito after ensuring that he was in good shape. He was extremely concerned and had been anticipating his return for quite some time.

"Where were you? I was worried sick!"

Kaito was being lectured by Ezaki. Even though they aren't blood related, Ezaki sees Kaito as his younger brother, like the one he never had. Kaito knows this and doesn't mind it. Ezaki was someone he could rely on and trust, and he was grateful that someone genuinely cared for him.

As an hour passed, Ezaki's anger finally calmed down. Ezaki decided to let Kaito off the hook after several apologies, but warned him not to do it again. That night, everything went smoothly, time passed, and the day was over.

The next day came and went in the blink of an eye. At least for Kaito, everything seemed wonderful. He now has friends, his schoolwork isn't as difficult as it used to be, and he knows there are people waiting for him at home. There are people who will care for him. Kaito felt satisfied with his current situation. though it wasn't the same for Yuki. He needed to sort out his feelings and ideas after his last chat with Kaito.

Yuki has always carried the burden of needing to be perfect, as being perfect is the only thing he could be. He was raised to be a king, and as such, he was expected to be flawless, to the point where everyone, talented or not, would have to look up to him.

Yuki has to be the person who everyone thinks can accomplish anything, but the truth is, even if he tried, he couldn't be perfect. He couldn't grow up to be the son his parents desired. As a result, he did what he could. He studied. He studied day and night, practicing swordsmanship till he felt dizzy. For his parents and the others who wanted him to fail, he had to be flawless.

He has to show others he's confident in his abilities even if he isn't; he has to show others he can do anything even if he cannot; he needs to be perfect even if that costs his health, both mentally and physically. Yuki slowly built a wall around him and the others. He knew if he let someone close his heart, he'd be hurt, just as his parents' expectations had damaged him.

He appeared cold and rude to keep those he didn't like or people who had a bad reputation away. He maintained his grades and performance and earned the trust and respect of others. He accomplished what others had failed to do, but he still feels something is lacking. Was it his childhood? Is it because he doesn't have anybody he can rely on? Why couldn't Yuki point out why? Why does he feel empty on the inside?

Then he met Kaito, a person who is unconcerned with their social standing, riches, or position. Yuki was surprised and intrigued by him. Soon after, he found himself wanting to learn more about him, but was unable to do so due to his own image. There will always be those who wish for him to fail. Who knows what rumors would surface if he became friends with Kaito?

So he decided to be rude to him, pretending to despise him so he could talk to him, but now he felt different. It wasn't because he was curious or because he wanted to be Kaito's friend. What was it, exactly? What exactly is this weird sensation? He wanted to be closer to Kaito, but he didn't know how. He used to ignore it as nothing significant, but as the sensation grew stronger, he couldn't ignore it any longer. It's slowly but steadily filling the void inside him.

Back to the present

Kaito goes to school as usual, but he has an extra bag with him this time. He walked down the hallways, but instead of going to his classroom, he went to the rooftop. A pleasant breeze greeted him on the rooftop. Up there, there was no one.

"It's nice and quiet here."

Kaito said, revealing a smile, without knowing there was a person on the rooftop. Kaito approaches the bench. From the bag he brought with him, he takes out a pillow and a blanket. He places the pillow on the bench and covers himself with the blanket. The view in front of him was breathtaking. He slowly dozed off after marveling at the view for a bit.

The class Kaito intended to attend began at the same time. Yuki sat in class, pondering Kaito's whereabouts. What if he's in danger? What if something was happening to him? Yuki remembers Kaito's favorite area, the rooftop, as he stares at the empty seat next to him. Then he asked the teacher whether he could use the restroom without much consideration. The teacher lets Yuki leave the classroom, but instead of heading to the restroom, he heads directly to the rooftop.

The person who was with Kaito on the rooftop was about to walk out when he heard footsteps coming from the stairs. He hid once again as Yuki opened the door to the rooftop. When he opened the door, he discovered Kaito sleeping on the bench. He got closer and closer till he could clearly see Kaito's face. With a tiny smile, he reached out his hand and caressed his cheecks.

He picked up the blanket that had fallen to the floor. He touches Kaito's hair before silently leaving after covering him with the blanket. Haru, the person hiding, saw everything from the moment Yuki came up to the rooftop. He walks up to Kaito and marvels at the sleeping person in front of him. He couldn't stop thinking about Yuki's interactions with him after witnessing them. Kaito was merely a friend to him, and he's confident Kaito sees him the same way.

"Right, a friend, nothing more... But I wonder if only I could... "

Haru muttered. He appeared to be in a bad mood. He sat down beside the bench Kalto was sleeping on, staring at the view in front of him. He gradually stood up after clearing his mind, and looked at Kaito one final time before leaving the rooftop. Kaito, who had slept through the whole thing, was in for some more trouble in the future.

Note: This is the end of the chapter! Sorry for the late update! (╥﹏╥) I caught a small cold but I've recovered now, it was nothing serious though so no worries (^~^;)ゞ Thank you for your continuous patience and support! Once again im terribly sorry about the late update ( ̄ヘ ̄;) it was supposed to be uploaded last Sunday after i added the final touches, but i haven't been able to do that cuz i lacked motivation and felt tired after all the classes and homework. (´-﹏-';) Being sick didn't help at all (´;ω;`) Enough of negative things, now that i got that out of the way... Thank you so much for 90 followers and the 2k votes! ✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧ I never would've thought that I'll be able to achieve something like this! Thank you so much for all your support! ( ◜‿◝ )♡ Whenever i need motivation i know i can count on y'all. ♡(*^▽^*) Once again thank you for your support and i hope you all have a great day/night! (≧▽≦) Stay safe and stay healthy! (*˘︶˘*).。*♡