chapter 2

Gus and Storkules were flying through the air on the flaptter, headed for Thebes, when they heard a loud shout  from somewhere down below.

“What was that?!” Storkules shouted to Gus over the wind thundering in their ears.

“Sound like your classic D.I.D.!” He shouted back, “Damsel and nudged her hind steered the flaptter causing it to slightly tilt and enter a steep dive.

“EEEEEEEEEEEEKKKK!!!” Gus screamed in terror as they plummeted towards the ground. At the last second, the flaptter pulled up, landed softly on the grass next to the river. Gus got off of the flying machine and bent over, putting his head in between his legs.

            “Never,” Gus groaned, trying to hold his lunch in, “Do that again.” Storkules opened his mouth to respond, but was interrupted by an enormous centaur storming around the river bend. In the centaur's hand, he held the source of the cry Storkules and Gus heard from above: one very annoyed duck.

"Not so fast, chump!" The centaur held the duck up to his face with a leer.

"Put me down!" The duck snapped as he tried to pry off the centaur's hand off him and kicks out at the centaur.

"Whoo! I like 'em firey!" The centaur cackled maliciously.

               In the bushes, Storkules and Gus are watching all this, with Storkules getting more angrier by the second at the situation.

"Now remember, rule number one of the situation: Don't just barrel in there without thinkin' -- Oh no", Gus groaned as he saw Storkules already marching towards the and monstrous centaur. Gus facepalmed, "He's going to humiliate himself!" He cursed to himself.

“Excuse me!” Storkules said, wading through the water and marching up to the centaur and duck, “I’m going to have to ask you to unhand that fellow!”

The centaur and duck both stopped and look over to Storkules.

"Buzz off, two legs", the centaur replied as he stepped closer to Storkules, towering over him.

Storkules cleared his throat,"With all due respect sir, I'll ask one more time to release that duck," Storkules stood still and tall as he gave a deeper glare towards the centaur.

                  The duck rolled his eyes in unamusement.

“Aw phooey. Look Wonder Boy, I’ve got this so scram.”

Storkules blinked, taken back. “Uh, sorry but are you not a damsel in distress.”

“I’m a duck! I’m in distress! I’m fine, have a nice day!”

Storkules drew his sword. “W-well clearly you’re too close to the situation to fully grasp the danger you’re in and-” Storkules was interrupted by the centaur’s fist slamming into him, sending him somersaulting a few feet backwards and into the water.

“Oooh,” Gus said, wincing in sympathy, “C’mon Storkules!” He shouted as Storkules stumbled to his hands, “Get your sword!” Storkules nodded his head shakily, still dazed from the river guardian’s blow and began fumbling in the water for his sword.

"Right, right! My sword! Rule #15: a hero’s only as good as his weapon!” He held his weapon in triumph for a few seconds before realising he’d grabbed a fish.

The centaur laughed hard and loud at the mistake, making him idle for a few crucial seconds. The centaur hit Storkules again with a huge fist and sends him flying again, this time he smacks into a large rock.

                Gus cringed at the attack, "Come on, Storkules!" He called out to Storkules" "Concentrate! Use your head!"

"Oh.....good idea", Storkules ran, headfirst into the centaur’s gut, sending him flying and making him lose his grip on the duck. The duck splashed ungracefully into the water with a squawk.