***

The twins and I follow Officer Durland and Sheriff Blubs to the office of the Gravity Falls Gossiper.

"You kids better be right about this, or you'll never hear the end of it."

"The evidence is irrefutable," Dipper tells Blubs with confidence.

"It's so irrefutable."

"I'm gonna get to use my nightstick!" Durland says with excitement.

"You ready?" Sheriff Blubs asks. "You ready, little fella?"

He cheered for a moment as Dipper started the countdown. "On three. One, two..."

Durland kicked open the door before he could finish.

"Nobody move!" Blubs shouted. "This is a raid!"

"Aah!" Toby falls out of his chair. "What is this? Some kind of raid?"

Durland hits a lamp with his stick, and I face-palm.

"Toby Determined, you're under arrest for the murder of the wax body of Grunkle Stan!" Dipper says to him.

Mabel stands beside her twin. "You have the right to remain impressed with our awesome detective work." She high fives Dipper with a proud smile.

"Gobbling goose feathers!" Toby exclaims. "I don't understand!"

I let out a quiet laugh. "That's a new one."

"Then allow me to explain. You were hoping Grunkle Stan's new attraction would lead to the story that would save your failing newspaper. But when the show was a flop, you decided to go out and make your own headline. But you were sloppy, and all the clues pointed to a shabby-shoed reporter who was caught left-handed."

Mabel held up the newspaper. "Toby Determined, you're yesterday's news."

"Boy, your little knees must be sore from jumping to conclusions! I had nothing to do with that murder."

"I knew it!" Dipper shouts. "Wait, what did you say? Nothing? Could you repeat..."

"Then where were you the night of the break-in?" I asked.

"Uh..."

***

"Finally, we can be alone," Toby says on the recording, pulling something from the cabinet, "cardboard cut-out of female news reporter Shandra Jimenez!"

He begins to kiss the cardboard, and everyone lets out varying reactions of disgust.

I gag. "I've seen some scary stuff but I think I'm traumatized now."

Sheriff Blubs turns to the reporter. "Time stamp confirms it. Toby, you're off the hook, you freak of nature."

"Hurray!"

"But... but it has to be him! Check the axe for fingerprints!"

Before I can say anything, Sheriff Blubs tells Dipper that there were no prints at all.

"No prints?" I ask. "But, how?"

"Hey," Officer Durland says to Toby. "I got a headline for you: City kids waste everyone's time."

The three laugh at the twins, and they stand there uncomfortably.

"Boy, I'd be pretty embarrassed if I was you two!"

"You're standing in front of a recording of you making out with cardboard, Toby," I said.

***

Uncle Stan walks up to the podium beside Wax Stan's coffin. "Kids, Soos, lifeless wax figures, thank you all for coming."