Chapter 6

***

Dipper and I sneak around the edge of the dumpster and Mabel pops up out of it.

"This is the place," I say, looking to see a heavily tattooed man standing beneath a sign reading SKULL FRACTURE. "Got the fake IDs?"

Mabel hands her and Dipper's to him and I pull mine from my bag. Uncle Stan may or may not have gotten me a fake ID a couple years ago, and it's finally getting put to use.

"Here goes nothing," Dipper mumbles, and the three of us walk toward the entrance.

"Let me do the talking," I whisper, earning a nod from the twins. Looking up at the man, I try not to laugh at his chin tattoo that actually says "chin". "We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack in the murder of Wax Stan."

The three of us hold out our fake IDs.

"Works for me," he says in a deep voice and opens the door.

Mabel sees a man lying on the ground. "He's resting."

I nod hesitantly before going into his mind, and nodding again. "He'll be fine."

"All right," Dipper begins. "Let's just try to blend in, okay?"

"You got it, Dippingsauce," Mabel says, pointing finger guns at him. He and I walk away, trying to find Manly Dan.

Dipper spots him over playing an arm wrestling game.

"Manly Dan! Just the guy I wanted to see," Dipper shouts and walks over to him. "Where were you last night?"

"Punchin' the clock."

"You were at work?"

"No, I was punching that clock!"

"Ten o'clock. The time of the murder. So I guess you've never seen this before?" Dipper asks, pulling the axe from his bag.

"Listen, little girl-"

"Hey, actually, I'm-"

"I wouldn't pick my teeth with that axe! It's left-handed. I only use my right hand. The manly hand!"

Manly Dan rips the arm off the machine, beginning to beat it with it's own arm.

"Get him! Get him!" Tyler chants.

"Left-handed," I muse, taking the axe from Dipper and holding it with the proper hand.

"Thanks, Manly Dan," I say as I lead Dipper to where we left Mabel.

"Mabel, big break in the case!" he announces.

"But will she love me?" the biker she was sitting next to asked, and I raised an eyebrow before looking into his mind to see his conversation. Aww, that was nice.

***

"It's a left handed axe. These are all our suspects. Manly Dan is right-handed. That means all we gotta do is find our left handed suspect and we've got our killer!"

"You can cross McGucket off the list," I tell Dipper. "He's right-handed."

"We are on fire today!" Mabel shouts, mimicking the sound of gunfire.

The three of us fist bump. "Let's find out murder!"

***

"Mabel! (Y/N)! There's only one person left on this list."

"Of course," Mabel says with a smile. "It all adds up!"

"It makes sense," I muse. "And I know it wasn't any of the forest creatures. Though I feel like something is missing." I say this last part to myself, not wanting Dipper to feel like I doubt him.