12 - I Make a Career as a Gender-Bending Detective

Start from the beginning

'You think Chad killed them? He's a bully, but he's no killer. He looked devastated at every death.'

'Killer's guilt?'

'Hardly. But I think we're looking in the right place. You were friends with them, who else is in the group that is suspicious enough to be a vampire.'

Laurel thought for a second. 'Darnell has the absurd strength for one and I don't see him much outside of football practice. Casey Blythe, one of the cheerleaders, I'm pretty sure is a vampire but have never been able to nail her down. They're our most likely suspects.'

I nodded. 'We should interview them both. See what we can gather. I'll take Darnell-'

'No. He'll just beat you up. He's a smart guy as well. If he is the killer, I'll have a better chance at taking him then you.'

'How am I supposed to interview Casey without arousing suspicion? I've never said a word to her before!'

'She runs the Art Club at lunch. They don't have many members, so if you say you want to join, she'll probably let you in.'

I nodded. 'Okay, time for Detectives Gavin and Laurel to head out on their first case.'

'Detectives Laurel and Evelyn sounds better to me.'

'Oh, for the love of-'

Once the lunch bell rang, I headed straight to Casey Blythe's Art club, not wanting to attract any attention. She was already inside, preparing a canvas and a bowl of fruit. There were no other members.

'Um, hello,' I muttered as I nervously walked in.

'Come back later,' she said without looking. 'I'm painting now.'

'Actually, I was wondering if you had any openings for the club.'

She turned at the word. Casey had long, straight black hair accented with a white hairband. Her eyes seemed eternally gloomy but otherwise her face was generally pleasant. She didn't look like a typical cheerleader at the very least.

'Really?' she asked quizzically.

'Um, yeah.'

'Fantastic!' she squealed, running over to me. She pulled me to the stool and pushed the bowl of fruit over, forcing me to sit. 'Finally, another member! I didn't think I'd get a single person. I've always wanted to paint a human model.'

I sighed. When Laurel said they didn't have many members, of course that meant there NO members apart from Casey. Sometimes, everything that girl said felt like a ploy to get me into some embarrassing situation.

'You are here for the modelling position, right?' she asked. 'I put that flier out months ago and I was afraid I'd never get a response.'

'So, um, what do you want me to do?'

She thought for a second, flicking her paintbrush against her cheek.

'I want to capture the ups and downs of adolescence in this portrait, the pressures of being a teenager.'

'All that just in a portrait? Of me?'

She thought for longer before pushing me off the stool and towards the windows. She told me to lean against the window and look out like I was pondering life. A lunchtime football game was going on outside, and I could see Laurel talking to Darnell.

'Something isn't right...' Casey said. She examined me before coming to an absurd conclusion. 'This would be better if you were a girl.'

'What?' For my own amusement, I almost said, 'Well, have I got news for you!' and then ripped off my own shirt, revealing my breasts. As funny as her reaction would have been, I didn't make a move.