9 - Shedding the Cocoon

Comincia dall'inizio

Before I could get dressed, Laurel made me strip from the nightgown and gave me some lingerie to get changed into

Before I could get dressed, Laurel made me strip from the nightgown and gave me some lingerie to get changed into. She helped me put the black lace bra on. She also helped me slide into the tights, which was a bit of an ordeal. The blouse was next. It felt great to wear. I was surprised at how comfortable it was, considering it looked complicated from the outset. The outfit got considerably more uncomfortable when I zipped up the miniskirt, and then the heels.

I tumbled over a few times before I got the hang of it. They were quite high, more so than the boots Laurel forced me into before. Laurel giggled as I tried my best to walk over to the vanity.

I adjusted my skirt and sat down.

'This is the part I was dreading,' I said.

'You should be honored,' she teased. 'Not just anyone gets a makeover from THE Laurel Laurent after all. But first, we do your nails.'

Laurel proceeded to paint my nails a bright red color to match hers. My nails were longer now, so by the time she was done with the final coat, they looked good. I just didn't like that they were my nails.

Laurel did my makeup as they dried. My eyes were closed during most of the process since she focused a lot on my eyes. She was putting more than just mascara and eyeshadow on, which was already beyond my knowledge of eye makeup. I opened them just as she was about to do my lips. I gasped audibly seeing my eyes. They were covered in dark makeup that looked like it was done professionally. They felt heavy, but it was worth it considering how great a job Laurel had done.

For my lips Laurel applied some red lipstick, followed by red lip gloss to give it an extra punch. They looked as juicy as hers when she was done. I didn't recognize myself in the mirror. Nor more did I see Gavin Middleton, I looked like a mini-Laurel Laurent, just with shoulder length brown hair, which she had styled with a red headband.

A bit of my fringe drooped over my eye, creating a preppy, yet slightly emo look. Laurel incarnate.

The person I stared back at in the mirror didn't even resemble the boy I was before. Laurel had transformed me, and I wasn't sure how I felt about it. The only thing I knew for sure was that this girl would have set my heart aflutter if she wasn't me.

I stood and twirled for Laurel, who couldn't stop smiling.

'How do I look?' I asked nervously.

'I think you'll fit in just fine here,' Laurel replied. She outstretched her hand. 'Come. I'll show you around House Laurent.'

I grabbed her hand and she led me out her bedroom door. The halls were quite regal in design, lots of portraits on fancy looking dead people hung on the walls, Laurel's ancestors I guessed. They all looked like classic vampires to me, it wouldn't have taken a Helsing agent to figure out what their favorite drink was. My heels clacked along the sleek hardwood floor. It was hard to walk but Laurel kept a slow pace to ease me along. We passed by several maids who bowed when they saw us. The Laurent's really were royalty in the vampire world.

'Nice place you got,' I said, admiring the architecture.

'I don't normally live here,' Laurel said. 'I live in a student apartment downtown. The less I'm associated with my family, the better. I don't want Helsing breathing down my neck when I'm at school.

'Tell me about it,' I said under my breath.

'My family is quite strict when it comes to exercising proper etiquette. When you meet Mother, or any of my elder siblings, you must bow. Compliment them, and make sure you don't speak too much. Mother likes reliable. My father is the perfect example.'

'So basically all I do is bow, compliment your family, and shut up? Should be easy enough.'

'Only speak when spoken to. Mother should leave you alone after a brief chat. I'll do most of the talking. Just stand there and look pretty.'

I sighed. 'I'll do my best.'

'Oh!' Laurel exclaimed. 'I forgot the most important part! You'll be given a new name by Mother.'

'What's wrong with Gavin?'

'It doesn't match your appearance. You are a Laurent now, and a lady. Laurel was chosen for me. Whether or not you approve of the name doesn't matter. Mother knows best in her eyes.'

'Did you not like Laurel initially?'

Laurel winced. 'Not especially, but I got used to it. It fits me now.'

'What was your name before?' I pressed.

Laurel looked at me, her eyes glinting with sadness. 'Now is not the time. You will learn one day, but not today.'

Laurel stopped in front of a pair of large wooden doors, crafted with immaculate beauty. We had reached our destination. Laurel checked over me one last time, making sure I stood properly, made sure my hands were at my front and clasped together, and made sure my makeup was perfect.

I was ready. Ready for the meeting that would change my life forever.