9 - Shedding the Cocoon

Start from the beginning

'Um, thanks,' I replied. 'Still doesn't explain why I'm wearing a pink nightgown.'

Laurel looked a little uneasy. 'I did say Strahm's blood exploded all over you. I mean ALL over you. I had to throw out your clothes.'

'When you say that, do you really mean...'

'Yes. Everything. You shirt, jeans, shoes, socks, everything.'

'THEN WHAT AM I MEANT TO WHERE WHEN I GO BACK HOME?'

Laurel smiled uneasily. 'I can loan some of my clothes to you if you want?'

My glare told her all she needed to know.

'You can't run around my mansion in a nightgown, Gavin. My family will kill you.'

'This is House Laurent?' I asked.

'The entire clan lives here in this giant mansion. All the Original Blood and their Sisters and Brothers. I'm an Original Blood, born into the family, and you are technically my Blood Sister.'

'Blood Sister?'

'When a High Born vampire transforms another with our power, they become our Blood Sisters or Blood Brothers. It's usually by choice and is performed on other vampires. My family doesn't know you were an accidental Sister. They can't know!'

'Were you planning on introducing me to them or something?'

'I couldn't keep you a secret when I brought you here. Mother knows I have a Blood Sister, so I couldn't hide you forever.'

'I'm guessing I can't leave here without meeting the family, huh?'

Laurel nodded. 'Listen, if your clothes weren't stained red, I would have happily let you meet them in your male guise, but that isn't the case. Let me give you a makeover. You've worn female clothing before with me, we're just going the extra step. Please, it's for your own good.

This is what Helsing's mission was. They wanted me to infiltrate the Laurent's home, and I knew full well I probably would have had to embrace my new body sooner or later. I wouldn't like it, I knew that, but I had to let her do whatever she wanted with me.

'Fine,' I said. 'Just promise to make me pretty at the very least.'

Laurel smiled brightly, wrapping me in another hug. 'Now that's a promise I can keep!'

Laurel dragged me over to the wall of closet doors and opened a few. Dresses and tops had been hung up while shoes, basically all heels, were placed at the bottom. I was beginning to regret it.

'So what kind of look do you want? I can make you a really girly girl, or an emo princess, or a regular princess. You could wear one of my really old dresses Mother leant, though they are a pain to get on.'

I shrugged. 'I don't really care.'

Laurel placed a hand on her hip. 'Surely you have something in mind. Laurent's are known for their style, so I can't have you wearing mismatched clothes or anything ugly.'

I thought for a moment about the kind of clothes I liked to see on girls. There were too many to name. When you're seventeen-year-old bachelor, if the girl is hot, anything they wear is hot. Laurel had been my crush ever since she arrived at Valentine Academy, so she was a start. Everything she wore was stylish.

'Make me look like you,' I finally said after hesitating. 'I can't think of any preferred style, so just give me something you would wear to school.'

Laurel smiled before combing through her closet. She knew exactly what to get. Finally, Laurel brought out a red long-sleeved chiffon blouse, a black high-waisted miniskirt, black tights, and a pair of red high heels. I winced at the sight, remembering my escape from the mall.