After a lot of arguing, pushing, and pulling from both sides, Clementine got to choose the dress she wanted. A dress that reached just below her knees and was a periwinkle color that complemented Clementine's skin. It was easy to move around in and that was all that Clementine wanted.

On Beth's side, she heard silence. There was no attempt at making plans if Beth was to be coming with Clementine. Beth responded with mute disinterest, which made Clementine feel doubtful of her own feelings about the dance. It really didn't matter that much, so why did Clementine care so much? She never cared about it before and she wasn't sure why it mattered now. Clementine did know, but she didn't want to admit it. It would most likely complicate things.

Of course, her mother made her go, but Beth made her want to go. For the first time in weeks, they would hang out in a place that was gloomy or sad in some way. Clementine hoped it would bring light and joy into Beth's life, but looking at Beth's blank expression whenever it was discussed worried her.

Nonetheless, time moved on as usual. Clementine saw Olivia and Mika every day, who she had become close to in a short time as she had with Beth. She also saw Anne, who looked at Clementine with strange intensity, and then averted her eyes to the floor and walked away. Clementine figured it would be a waste of time and energy to worry about it.

Nearing the last few weeks and days of school was always a strange feeling for Clementine. There was always strange energy that hung in the air, plans about summer not so subtly whispered to one another, while others signed themselves on for summer school or a job. Those people were significantly less ecstatic about the break.

Beth had kept her promise to come right to the day, even arriving early at Clementine's house to get ready. Clementine figured that Beth wouldn't be a dress person, as Beth believed that if you wear anything, you best be prepared for anything too. But she surprised Clementine with a light blue dress that swept just below her calf and wrapped around her arms comfortably. Yet Clementine found it amusing how Beth refused to wear high heels because Beth said that it would get in the way of running if someone wanted to chase her down. Clementine couldn't deny she was right.

"You're very pretty, you know," Beth said suddenly. Clementine was standing in front of her mirror, fixing her hair and makeup, putting her earrings in her ears. The comment caught Clementine off guard completely, and she could feel the heat rising in her face.

Clementine nodded, trying to act nonchalant, "Yeah, thanks," She responded, mentally kicking herself for answering in such a deadpan tone.

Clementine was not facing Beth, but she could hear the smirk on her face, Beth missed almost nothing, "But I'm being serious, Clem," Beth said in a teasing voice, emphasis on the nickname.

"Don't start messin with me, Olivia and Mika are gonna be here soon."

"Oh yeah, those guys. Never spoken a word to them before."

"I think you'll like them, you guys seem like you would get along well. By the way, did you invite anyone?"

There was hesitation on Beth's side, seemingly like she was afraid to tell Clementine, which Clementine didn't understand. Finally, she sighed, taking her hand off of the back of her neck, "Yeah, I invited one of my friends from middle school. Minnie."

Clementine knew the Minnie she was speaking about. Minnie was the name that stuck out in Clementine's mind. She was the one who never antagonized Beth in middle school. She was the one who wasn't like the others. When Beth spoke about her, her tone always tried to cover up something hidden beneath the surface. Either the past grudge still taking hold, or the love of an old friend she couldn't seem to let go of. Clementine wondered what it was that made them change their opinion about each other