Chapter 46- Marinette's special night

Comenzar desde el principio

"You're lying. Adrien, I've spent my entire life working for your father. I've known you long enough to be aware of your false smile. I'm going to ask again. Is everything well with you?"

Adrien sighed and massaged his face, realizing he had just offended Natalie. He understood he couldn't lie any longer. "Please accept my apologies, Natalie. I was just- " He hesitated for a moment. "I promised her that I would be there. She asked me to be there because it's a big day for her and her career. I understand how crucial this is for my future, but to be honest, I don't imagine myself without her. In five minutes, her inauguration will begin, and instead of being at her side, I'm stuck here, forced to make a group of conceded Gabriel Brand investors pleased. All I want is to be with her."

Adrien gasped as he realized he had just ranted at his father's assistant and insulted the investors. "Oh, my goodness. I ap-"

"GO," she said abruptly.

"Excuse me?"  Adrien inquired, perplexed.

"I'm telling Adrien to go to her. You still have a chance. The last investor was the man you recently greeted. For the time being, I'll cover for you. I only ask that you return as soon as it's over. Before anyone is aware that you've left."

Adrien leaped and hugged Natalie with glee. He felt that she had given him a new chance for a happy night. He hugged her and muttered, "Thank you." "I guarantee I'll be back shortly."

_________________________________

Marinette was an emotional wreck. Marinette had not been able to keep herself together for more than 20 minutes at a time. The bluenette wondered if it was because of the pregnancy hormones. Or maybe it was the nerves of it being a big night for her. It certainly did not help to know that Adrien would not be attending tonight. The very notion broke her heart.

Marinette wiped her tears away for what seemed to be the millionth time today. She then reapplied mascara and attempted to fix the makeup she had ruined. The boutique awaited her arrival. Her inauguration would begin in about ten minutes, yet she couldn't stop crying long enough to keep her makeup on. Marinette would be late for her own inauguration from the looks of it.  

Marinette let out a sigh. Adrien, she knew, would have had her ready in minutes if he was her. Her kitty made sure she was ready and on time for any special occasion. Marinette felt a tear fall from her eye. Adrien. She wishes he was present.

"Hey, girl. Are you ready? Luka is here already, and we are all waiting for you," Alya said as she walked into Marinette's bedroom.

"Oh, Mari, you look stunning. I can't believe this is happening so soon. We are all so proud of you, girl," Alya said, hugging her best friend.

"Thank you, Alya. I don't know about stunning, though. I had to change my outfit five times because I looked fat, and I can't seem to be able to keep my makeup long enough to walk out of the room," Marinette said as she giggled. Her laughter only lasted a second before she sighed and became quiet.

Alya knew what her silence meant. It did not take much brainpower to know that Marinette thought of the blonde. "H-have you heard from Adrien?" Marinette finally asked, attempting not to cry again.

"Y-yeah," Alya responded. "He didn't want to call you because he was afraid he'd make things difficult for you. Adrien was hurting, Mari. He wanted nothing more than to be there tonight. Said he would have given it all up to be there, but you made him promise not to."

Marinette sighed, knowing that was exactly something Adrien would do or say. His willingness to drop everything, even his future for her, was one of the reasons she loved him.