Chapter 23

A/N: Hello. I've started to notice my pattern in updating. Ahahahahaha....

Sorry I haven't updated in a while, my finals are coming up next week. Enjoy the chapter! Thank you BluxWavxs
for reminding me to start writing this chapter!

And happy birthday futurecrazylady you idiot lol.

Third person's P.O.V.

A heavy sigh unwantedly left his lips as he let go of his equipment and let it drop to the grass filled training ground. Just how long had the Hashira been training? His hands and whole body filled with sweat, his breath hitching for the first time since he became a skilled demon slayer.

The heat overwhelmed his body, making him untie the ponytail he had put his hair in, making it flow freely once again flowing freely, while at the same time he tried to regain his composure.

Silent footsteps approached him and he immediately recognized them. Why was he here at this time? Did something happen?

"Tokito-san, Oyakata-sama wants to see us all"

"Why?" the boy asked, not willing to leave his estate.

"Tomioka-san did something stupid"

Y/n's P.O.V.

Hours later

'Where is it? Where is it? Where is it?' I frantically asked myself, searching my room unconditionally for an object I held dearly but also needed immediately.

I had almost given up on looking for it before I spotted the corner of the item, internally celebrating that I had finally found it. I grabbed it, dusting off the dust that occupied the surface but before I could successfully open it, my ears picked up the sound of the door opening before I hid it again.

As expected, my brother was the one who indeed opened it and looked at the sigh in front of him in awe. "What happened to your room?" he asked me, slightly disgusted at the mess.

It's not like his room has been any better lately.

"What happened to your hair?" I answered his question with another one to counter it, using one of my hands to point at his messy hair. If I looked closely enough, I could see small tree branches.

A silence occupied the room as if he refused to tell me what happened, and with that, he turned his back to me. "Get ready" he mumbled but enough for me to hear.

"Why?"

"We're going out"

Time skip

My conscious being stared at the moon in the sky that was soon to be filled with various stars .

The bustling streets of the city never failed to amaze me. It has in fact been a while since I had stepped foot in the land I call home.

How it had grown much since I was younger even though it had not been that long ago. Only a few years to be exact.

As I still stared up, I wondered why my brother decided to take me here in the first place. Perhaps it was to revive old memories.

Old memories I didn't want to relive.

I shuffled uncomfortably in my seat while I waited for Giyuu's arrival. I find it quite funny that he was the one who decided to take me out yet here he was, nowhere to be found.

I brought my line of sight to the streets of the city and watched how children peacefully lived their lives. The children who decided to put up a front for visitors.

Afterall, we had all decided to forget and move on, though it was seemingly hard for me since I was the one who was more connected to the incident.

I clutched my kimono tightly as a heavy sigh escaped my lips, my energy completely depleting while I lazily slouched down on the chair.

"What's taking him so long?" I impatiently asked myself. I was neither aware of what he was doing or why he was doing it. He had just instructed me to wait for him near this very spot. So I had decided to take a seat down at this free chair.

I had then heard the sound of feet approaching me and my hopes went high assuming it was my so-called brother. But that hope vanquished as quickly as it appeared upon seeing an old man who seemed quite familiar in my eyes.

"May I take a seat here, young lady?" His voice was groggy. As expected from a man who was at his old age.

I kindly shifted off to the side of the chair, allowing the man to properly settle down and feel comfortable. Even if it was at the expense of mine.

"You've grown Y/n" he stated, my full attention now on him. I stared curiously at him but my once curious gaze switched to that of a soft one upon recognizing who that was.

"Mr. Kazuo?" I replied. He had grown much older than he was the last time I saw him.

"Ah, you remember" he said to me, placing his hand on my shoulder before staring at the street in front of us.

"I still remember when you always came to my shop"

Ah yes, his shop. The one stall that still had a place in my heart. When I still stayed here, I would always go visit his food store in search of food to eat, my former guardian and I were poor so we couldn't afford any.

He and his family worked at that shop and were the only ones kind enough to give us food out of the other businessmen. But I respect their views seeing they needed their money.

Sometimes Mr. Kazuo and his family would invite us over for dinner. His children were always fun to be around as I adored them so much even though they were much older than me. I always learned a thing or two words of wisdom from them whilst I was in their company.

"I loved that shop. What happened to it?"

"Got teared down by the government. Needed space to build a house" he replied sadly, his eyes still fixated on the street.

I felt bad for him knowing that was the only source of income he and his family had to live on. But all I could do was give him a sympathetic smile. No words could come out.

He stared at me a bit before smiling back, patting my shoulder and letting go. Looking back at the streets once more.

"How's your family?" I asked, trying to change the mood back to a happy one but as always, the universe pulled a reverse card on my attempts.

"My wife died two years ago. Got sick with some disease we didn't have money to cure" he said, a small but evidently painful laugh was heard from him. "Both my children got better job opportunities outside of town so it's just me" he smiled.

"Just you?" I asked again. He nodded in response. "For all those years" I frowned at him but he again smiled to reassure me but that had to effect.

"It's fine. I got to see you after sometime so this brightened my day" he chuckled looking at me once again. I smiled back at him.

"When I'm done with my goal, I promise I'll visit you frequently" I promised him, making him smile even wider.

"Thank you" he told me.

I looked back at the crowd and saw that familiar kimono in the middle of the crowd, his head tilting searching for me.

"I have to leave now. Nice talking to you Mr. Kazuo" I said to him, standing up from the seat and waving at the old man before quickly scurrying to where my brother was.

"Why did you take so long?" I asked him but no reply was given. Just his usual blank expression.

"Come on. Let's go home"

Word count: 1306 words.