Momentary escape - 1

Start from the beginning

   At the end of the sports festival, Bakugo's classmates watched him walk off with his first place medal clasped tightly in his hand. His hands trembled from him pushing himself so hard against Uraraka and Todoroki as he had screamed at the two toned boy for not being the best he could be. But his hands also shook in anger as he hadn't been strong enough to react in time to save the one that truly needed it. His green curly haired best friend, who was more like a brother than a friend, wasn't by his side as he had been for so many years and it was all his fault. What kind of hero could he even be if he is too weak to even save those closest to him, much less strangers? He would be a worthless hero and is a worthless hero in training if he can't prove himself otherwise. He may have won the festival, but Todoroki refused to fight fully and therefore his victory was a fake. He was a fake and he would just have to wait till next year in hopes that he can prove himself actually worthy next year as he only has two more chances to do it right.

   Internship offers for the week are sent in over a corse of the next few days and Bakugo receives the second most offers, with Todoroki getting the most. It was clear to the class president that the heroes could see that he had failed too and clenches his fists trying to calm down as he was not going to admit defeat. He simply has to work even harder if he is going to be a real hero instead of a worthless one. Bakugo looks through hundreds of offers from all over Japan but the one that sticks out to him is from Sir Nighteye. He considers Best Jeanest as well but Sir Nighteye worked with All Might as a sidekick and this was an opportunity he couldn't let slip by him.

   The hero had seen through Bakugo's harsh words and wanted to help him. He could see through the boy's unique way of expressing himself and helping people in his own explosive way. As All Might's past sidekick he could see a bit of his old friend and wanted to improve his growing skills. Mirio had already received One for All but unlike All Might, Nighteye understood that no one hero should shoulder the burden of creating peace for the world. Nighteye never could get that through All Might's thick skull but he had faith in the next generation he would be guiding. Mirio could also improve from this experience as he was a wonderful hero and learning to lead a younger hero in training towards becoming even better would teach him the improvement of mentoring those younger to help keep the world they fight for safe.

When Bakugo accepted his invitation, Sasaki began to prepare for the teens arrival. He wanted to see just how strong the young man's anger was as Endeavor was currently number two but his anger led to incredible amounts of avoided destruction and wasn't about to let Bakugo go down a similar path. To test Bakugo's anger, Nighteye baited the boy, asking him how he planned to improve when he could only beat his strongest classmate when fighting at half strength. Just as he suspected, the anger this boy held was not towards other but at himself, a toxic way to push himself to always be better as he hid anguish behind his ruby eyes. This was unfortunately something he saw on many heroes when they failed to save someone and was curious to know what had caused a boy his age to feel that way. However, Bakugo is just as stuburn as All Might could sometimes get so he was still waiting on the answer to that burning question.

   Knowing this, he pushed his worry and curiosity aside, and had the younger teen go patrolling with Mirio. Bakugo learned a lot from Mirio and all of Nighteye's agency so when work studies were mentioned after the summer, Bakugo went back to Nighteye. He didn't learn how to funny by Nighteye's standards but he couldn't care any less about that. His first day back in Nighteye's agency was mainly training and learning about any current villains to keep an eye out for and day two was time to patrol. Despite working with Bakugo for a while and the third year talking to him some during school, Lemillion was still trying to get the younger blond to open up to him. Mirio had just opened his mouth to say another joke when a little girl all dressed in bandages ran into Dynamite's legs. Both boys were shocked at the little girl's condition and immediately bent down to help her in any way they could.

"Are you okay?" Mirio whispered kindly, not wanting to scare her. The small girl, who seemed to be around 4 or 5 due to her size, mutely nodded her head and clung tightly to Bakugo's hero costume. Before much else can be said, the very villain Nighteye had warned them about for being extremely dangerous and to avoid contract with appears. "I'm sorry about my daughter, she got a little too excited and ran on ahead. Please do not worry about the bandages, she tends to be a bit accident prone." At the sound of Overhaul's voice, the girl began to tremble violently and begs him, "Please! Help us..." "Eri come here now!" The man harshly demands and begins to slip his gloves off. Bakugo watches as Eri's eyes widen even further with fear and she quickly dashes to the villain's side. Mirio grabs Bakugo's shoulder to prevent him from charging forward and slightly shakes his head. The pair watch in worry at Eri and Overhaul disappear into the darkness of the alley before Bakugo spins around to face Mirio with tears threatening to fall. "Why?" His broken voice whispers, "why didn't you let me save her? I can't let another person go unsaved when I'm right there..."

   Mirio stares in shock, having never seen Bakugo look so tired or defeated before. "If we caused a scene, more than just Eri would have gotten hurt. The sooner we tell Nighteye about this, the sooner we can help her, I promise! Sir warned us about how dangerous that man is and could have lost a chance to save Eri at all." Bakugo takes a deep breath before heading back to Nighteye agency without looking to see if Mirio was following him. "Come on Lemillion, we've got a little girl to save." He growls out as he stomps off. "Right behind you Dynamight!" Mirio says, trying to stay positive despite the dark situation that had stumbled upon them. Mirio does his best to continue smiling as his mentor would and runs after the younger boy as worried thoughts fly rapidly through his head. "What was a little girl like Eri doing with such a dangerous man!?"