Pretty Girl

Ushijima Wakatoshi/F!OCLove Triangle

Love Triangle.
Pretty Girl - Haikyuu!!
Start: April 4, 2023
End: Tbd

❝I was so mad when I was younger,❞ she said. ❝And then you grow up and think you're not that girl anymore. That girl you were at fifteen, sixteen. Angry and nasty. Hungry for love-❞

❝-I guess some girls are like that,❞ Katie said, cooly.

❝But the thing is, you're always that girl,❞ Hailey said, ❝She never goes away. She's inside you all the time. That girl is forever.❞

-Megan Abbott, You Will Know Me

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

-Friends leave and things change. Family members leave and things change. Life does not pause for anyone. Even nature's green leaves, that turn buttery orange-yellow in the fall, shriveled and cold, just as ill prepared for the change in seasons like the residents they fall on, are not exclusive to reality's lack of prejudice. Kimora Lee-prettiest girl of her year, ex swimmer, mother's least favorite (she forgets she is no longer an only child), fatherless, 'friendless', and the unconsenting older step sister to pigtail-pulling Oikawa Tooru-has learned this lesson.

But that doesn't mean she has to like it.

Life is not to blame for her being her mother's least favorite (that's Tooru's fault). Life is not to blame for her being an unsuccessful young adult (it's her fault, like mother reminds her so very often). Life is not to blame for her being an untalented swimmer (her own mediocrity is to blame). Life is not to blame for her being fatherless (throat cancer has refused to take accountability for taking the life of the wrong person, for making her mother distant during the final stages of the ruthless onslaught).

Being fatherless, however, bothers her the most; so many sites she looked through as a child, so many reported probabilities and percentages and ratios and chances. And so many that turned out to be wrong in the end.

Kimora is not someone that believes in chance. Not since chance fed her false hopes and promises about things it shouldn't have.

Ushijima Wakatoshi, too, does not believe in things like flukes. In his mind, there is no such thing as luck (he forces himself to digest that belief, when the sweat on his face blurs his vision and his pulse is lodged in his throat). You must work for the things you want. You must strive for greatness. You must surround yourself with a good support system. You must take accountability for your failures, for your successes, and everything that comes in between. Only you can dictate your fate. That is the motto he stands by; it's the only principal that has remained consistent in his life.