A sound echoed from the upstairs. A sudden sound that stopped him in his tracks, dead- cold. A terrified cry...

Yaman's breathing picked up and he clutched the railing, his heart racing in his chest.

Seher.

The cry had been Seher's....

************************************

The gun slipped from her hand and dropped to the ground with a thud.

Seher stood plastered against the door, staring at the man infront of her, horrified. She'd forgotten that if you shot someone, there was bound to be so much blood. Blood spouted from the wound right under his chest, like the last squirts of an overturned ketchup bottle, staining his starched white shirt.

Aksak glanced at his chest, his expression blank. Then his gaze went up to Seher. He looked mildly surprised, as if he couldn't believe that she'd shot him.

Seher started shaking, the shock spreading through her body. She'd shot him. She'd shot him and she didn't feel anything except regret that she couldn't aim higher.

The man moved so fast, her vision blurred. One moment, Aksak was standing at the far end of the room, and the next, he had her pinned against the door, arm pressed over her chest, cutting off her airway. He seemed completely nonchalant about his bleeding wound.

Seher gasped. His face was a mask of calmness as he reached into his coat and pulled out something that looked like a polished handle. Then he pressed a button and a neat, long blade slid out from the end of it.

A flick knife.

This was it then, Seher thought. This was the end. He was going to kill her right here. Right now.

Her nails dug into the surface of the door as Aksak held the blade against her throat, almost experimentally. Her breath hitched. He looked curious, gauging for her reaction as he pressed the blade deeper.

What the hell was wrong with this man?

"Interesting," He was pressed up against her, so she could feel his blood seeping into the front of her dress. She felt faintly sick.

"I can see what he sees in you," he went on. "I've rarely seen a woman whom I didn't want to kill, after I'm done with her. Certainly I haven't seen one with enough guts to shoot me.."

"I hope you die!" She gritted out, feeling surprised at herself.

He pressed the blade warningly, and Seher whimpered as she felt it break the skin.

His gaze was intense.

"I should kill you now, shouldn't I?"

Seher clamped her mouth shut and stared, vowing to herself that she wouldn't lower her gaze.

Suddenly, his eyes glazed over. He cocked his head to one side, as if he could hear something she couldn't. A thin, gossamer line materialized between his eyebrows.

And then Seher heard it too. The sound of sirens. The sound of sirens nearing the mansion and filling the garden.

"Since when did Kirimli start trusting the cops?" He muttered. "Goddamn it!"

Oh, thank God.

Aksak's lips pulled over his teeth and shockingly, he hesitated. Then pushing her away roughly, he reached for the door.

Seher stumbled against the table, gasping. Her hands involuntarily went to her neck, and she flinched at the sharp sting. The cut was shallow and thin, but it bled the same.