Chapter 22 | Mush

Start from the beginning

I turned around and all four that were fighting a minute ago were coming in our direction. "Run," I said, letting go of my boyfriend's arm.

We ran across the park and ducked into a street alley. I could still hear their footsteps following. We ran and ran with the boys in tow. I had seen Race, I had seen Skittery, I had seen the others. Even I had my black eye. But no way was I going to look any worse and lord help them if anything happened to Blink.

"Here," Blink said, shoving open a back door. I followed him into a stairwell that led up into a dimly lit room. A building we knew well.

"What are you rats doing back here? Shoo!"

"It's okay Ms. Medda, It's just Blink and me," I reassured her, catching my breath, as she came into the room.

"Oh, boys! Are you okay? What's wrong?" She asked, realizing who we were. "I haven't seen you two since the rally."

"We'se just got a lil trouble back the'ah. Mind if we stay for a bit?"

"Sure, sure! Stay as long as you need. Can I get you, boys, anything? Water maybe?"

"Yes, please," Blink and I said in unison. Medda smiled and left to go get us something to drink. When she came back she handed us the glasses and sat down on a nicely furnished seat, gesturing for us to do the same. We sat down on the sofa across from her.

"So what kind of trouble brings you here this time?"

Blink and I looked at each other, wondering how to answer. She gave us a look and set down her own glass on the table between us. "It doesn't have to do with this so-called 'borough war' now, does it?" We nodded, grateful she said it herself. "Jack came by recently and filled me in. Please know, you two," she nodded towards our touching hands - something I hadn't even noticed - and smiled, "are always welcome here no matter what."

I let out a sigh of relief. I hadn't expected Medda to be harsh, but it was reassuring to hear her say it herself.

Blink put his empty water glass down. "We appreciate your kindness missus, but we oughta beat it. Fatha' Jack has implemented a curfew."

She laughed. "I've told you, call me Medda. You get going."

We headed to the door and she gave us a pointed look. "Be careful out there."

We walked the rest of the way back to the lodging house, careful to check our blind spots for any more guys ready to soak us. When we got into the bunk room, Jack almost tackled us.

"Where were you'se? Ya shoulda got back foreva ago, it don't take that long to get back from the square!"

"Got chased by a few guys, camped out at Medda's til it was safe," I said.

"Where were dey from?" Jack asked.

"Brooklyn," I replied.

"Harlem," Blink added.

"Two from the Bronx." 

Jack shook his head. "Christ, I told ya two notta sell togetha."

"We's fine," Blink said. "No new scratches."

Jack looked past us, his eyes widening. "Can't say the same 'bout King O' Brooklyn."

I turned around and gagged. Spot was gasping for breath, holding himself up on his cane. Both his eyes were dark from shiners, his clothes were torn, and it seemed as though he was bleeding everywhere. His entire body was caked in dirt and smelled awful. "It ain't king no more, Jacky-boy."

Jack took command. "Mush, Blink, get him on the bed. Someone get Racetrack!"

Suddenly, the room was in chaos. Kids were pushing over each other and trying to be heard over the noise. Blink and I escorted a limping Spot to a bunk and lifted him on. Not long after, Jack and Albert rushed in with Race, a rag, and bandages.

"Get outta the damn way!" Race yelled, pushing through the crowd that had gathered around the bunk. He crouched beside Spot. "Spot. What the hell? What happened? Are you'se okay?"

Spot shushed him. "Calm down Racer. I got inna lil fight with my boys."

Jack pushed his way over. "Actually, Spot. What happened?"

Spot sighed. "Brooklyn's through with me. They ain't takin no queer for they'ah leada. Hotshot's taken wheel and comandin' 'em and I ain't king no more."

"And with that, the mighty ruler has fallen at the hand o' love-"

"Shut up Albert!" Race, Jack, Blink, and I yelled.

I sighed. "So I guess it's safe ta say things just got a hell of a lot worse."

A/N: ladies, gentlemen, and otherwise... after almost a year I have finally updated. We are slowly getting there, slowly yet surely, and i'm hoping i cant get my ass to post again soon. at this point i just want to finish this and be done with it but i do enjoy watching y'all enjoy it. but hey we got a mush chapter, that's a pretty interesting thing. I promise the next chapter will be more than just a beat up kid. anyways as always, take care of yourself and have a nice morning/afternoon/night. 

- Newt 

also everyone say hi to my friend sam here lol