Pain blooms at the site of the wound, my entire body curling up on reflex. It's an arrow, lodged into my shoulder, blood streaming from the wound, staining my clothing. Screams and shouts echo through the air at the sight of me being hit, seemingly from out of nowhere.

"Akara!" I hear Tai yell, at my side in an instance.

"I've been shot..." I groan, cradling the spine of the arrow, hands shaking. It hasn't killed me yet, at least, but with all the blood pouring from me, I can feel my luck slipping away from me, the edge of my gaze starting to blur.

Tai's guards shroud me, before picking me up, carrying me off the stage and behind it, laying me on the grass. I wince, trying to breathe through the overwhelming pain, but there is no escaping it.

"Go and find who shot her...But bring them back alive, I need to talk to them," Tai growls, gesturing at his guards. They all nod, rushing off.

Just as the round the stage, another figure comes around, looking frantic.

I must be dead, because that can't be Marek.

Sure enough, he's approaching, staring at me with panic. Of course he was nearby, watching. I knew he wouldn't leave the province, even if it meant putting his life at risk. He's always close by, making sure I'm safe, never getting too far away.

"Are you okay?" he asks as he comes closer, until Tai steps in front of him, blocking his view of me.

"Get away from her," he snaps.

"Let me see her," Marek demands. He could see Tai hurtling for the floor if he wanted to, but he's smart enough to realise the consequences of that, even without all the guards swarming around.

Tai presses his hand to Marek's chest, unbothered by the anger that ghosts across Tai's face. "She's my wife..."

"No, she's not," Marek growls, gritting his teeth tightly. "Get out of my way."

He shoulders Tai out of the way, coming to my side. Tai looks as though he wants to protest more, but one of his guards emerges from the side of the stage, looking as though she have news on my assailant, thankfully pulling his attention away from us.

"Are you okay?" Marek asks, looking at where the arrow is still lodged into my skin. The wince on his expression tells me everything I need to know. He has felt this pain before, and considering how expertly he wields his own bow, he is aware of the kind of damage that it can do to someone.

"I've been shot. I think I'm going to die," I mutter. I swear the metallic taste of blood still lingers in my mouth.

Marek grabs my hand, using his spare one to cradle my head. "You're not, alright? This looks like a flesh wound."

"You need to go, before you make Tai angry," I insist, looking at the King's back. His paitence will wear thin, and he will have Marek imprisoned again, except this time, it won't be so easy to strike a deal with him.

Marek looks over his shoulder grimly, knowing I'm right. "Meet me on the forest line in three days. You should feel better by then."

At least he's optimistic, I think, nodding. "Okay..."

"I'm going to find who did this. And I'm going to kill them," he assures me.

If there is anything I believe, it's that. Marek won't stop until he's found who fired that arrow, and he will make them pay in the most horrific of ways.

He gives me a lasting look, as he lets go of my hand, and stands. Tai is just turning around as Marek vanishes behind the stage, untraceable to his guards if he decides to send them on a hunt for him.

Tai appears at my side, where Marek was kneeling only moments ago. "Come on, let's get you back to a healer."

"This is your fault, Tai," I breathe, trying not to succumb to the pain, to the darkening edges of my gaze.

He winces, expression pained, but his eyes are unreadable. "I know, I'm so sorry Akara."

I hold his gaze, even as unconsciousness tugs at me. All I can do is hope that I wake up from this.

💙••💙

Remember that you can always find this story 10 chapters ahead on Radish (:

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

You will find it under King's Possession Season Three!!

~Midika 🐼💜