09

"It's peculiar." Ilayda's words pierced through his musings, attention focused on her as she spun water between her fingertips near the lake. It created a mesmerising picture especially when the crystal sphere caught onto the evening sunlight, reflecting off a bright orange mixed with yellow.

"What is?" Aryzath said, sitting next to her near the waters. Unlike her where she was sitting on her feet, he sat legs crossed together and palms flat on the grass grounds. The cool forest floor was a nice contrast against the searing heat of the day.

"That my magic keeps letting you in."

She flicked her fingers at his direction. The water dispersed into tiny droplets where some hit his face. He recoiled, scrunching his nose at the act before he narrowed his gaze at her. Ilayda lifted the corner of her lips upwards, amusement clear on her features and her cyan eyes twinkled into a brighter shade every time she caught the sunlight.

"I thought you've asked your Elders," Aryzath said, sitting up straighter and clapping his hands twice to dust off the dirt.

"I did," she said, dropping her hands to her lap. There was no other words from her and no attempt to elaborate after that. He had half a mind to ask her about it but she turned her body to face him and said, "Why are you here again?"

"Sorry?" He frowned. "Do you not want me here?"

It was a stupid question. Especially when she tilted her head downwards and eyed him with a look so blank of emotions, shame heated up his face. Clearing his throat, he clapped his hands twice more, if nothing else, to give him something to do.

The truth was that he didn't want to stay at the castle. Everything was a bit too empty and whenever he saw Father, he was reminded of what he would be doing for the kingdom. Or for the Sire, if he was being honest about it. Every corner was a reminder that his fate was sealed — doomed to marry a creature he would never come to love.

Two days was all he could take, his mind constantly running back to this water-wielding creature before him with pretty eyes and shimmering wings. His fingers once more itched to touch them, caress them and see if they felt as soft as he thought they would be. Instead, he forced his gaze to meet hers once more, ignoring the way his ears now burned alongside his cheeks.

"I came here for no absolute reason but to grace you with my presence," Aryzath said, earning a click of her tongue in response. Clearly, she was unimpressed when she accompanied her reaction with a roll of her eyes. Amusement flooded him and he smiled. "Didn't you miss my witty remarks?"

"We've only met a handful of times," she said, pointing at him. "Do not speak as if we've known each other for a long time."

The Dragonkind smiled wider, his heart squeezing in his chest at her quick reply. While they didn't start off on the best foot, there was just something about her that he trusted. He knew he did for he wouldn't have told her the things he did if he hadn't. And wasn't that just the strangest feeling ever?

To feel at ease in front of someone, even if they had butted heads one moment and could civilly contemplate on a conversation in another.

"Then, let's get to know each other," Aryzath said.

She stared at him, eyes widening and her wings fluttered just briefly. He caught that slight movement. "Why would I want to do that?" Her hands immediately gestured in the air, frantic. "You're a Dragonkind. You shouldn't even be here. Are you trying to get me to lower my guards so you can attack me?"

He should've expected that this was the response he would get. And he didn't blame her. His kind wasn't and hadn't been favourable towards hers for so long and maybe it was weird he wanted to know more about her.