"But then...how do we know he's not here right now, watching us?" Percy asked.

Annabeth and Grover shared a look.

"We don't," Grover said.

"Well. Thank you, guys, for that terrifying thought," Kali said sarcastically.

"Yeah, that makes me feel a lot better," Percy said in the same tone. Then, "Got any blue jelly beans left?"

By the time it was finally their turn to get on the elevator, Percy seemed to have relaxed some, only to tense back up. Kali, who was doing her best to not think about the possibility of Hades watching them in the darkness, looked around to make sure nothing was wrong. Everything seemed fine. But then she noticed how tiny and little the elevator was, how Percy eyed with wariness mixed with dread, and things kicked into place.

Kali didn't have time to suggest that he stay behind before they were all packed into it with a fat lady and her tiny chihuahua like they were sardines. The dog had a rhinestone collar, and obviously wasn't a service dog of any kind. Still, the guards did nothing about it. That didn't sit right with her.

With furrowed brows, Kali tried to subtly look at the woman. Beady eyes; pointy teeth that also looked coffee-stained; a floppy denim hat with a matching denim dress that bulged far too much.

"No parents?" asked the lady.

"They're below," Annabeth told her. "Scared of heights."

"Oh, the poor darlings."

The chihuahua growled. The woman said, "Now, now, sonny. Behave." It had beady eyes just like it's owner too much for comfort: intelligent and vicious.

"Sonny. Is that his name?" Percy asked.

"No." She smiled as if that cleared things up. Didn't even offer up his real name, either.

Kali share a quick confused look with her brother, and was relieved when no one else continued to speak with the lady.

The observation deck at the top of the Arch had a gray carpeting. Rows of tiny windows lined both walls so people could look out. The city was on one side, while the river was on the other. The dark gray walls under the windows were slanted so people could lean on them to get a better look.

None of them were exactly tall, though Annabeth and Grover did currently stand a couple of inches above Percy and Kali, so it made actually seeing the view harder. When the park ranger wasn't looking, they took turns climbing the slanted wall to see better. Annabeth went first, all the while going on and on about structural supports and how she would've made the windows bigger. Even though she knew nothing about architecture, Kali agreed. The windows were much too small. Then Grover went, and then Percy, who looked a bit queasy after his turn.

Then it was Kali's turn. At first she was fine looking out the small window. It was a beautiful view of St. Louis, even if it was a city. But then she looked straight down and it truly hit her how high up they were. Queasiness mixed with a fear of someone falling to their death did not mix well.

She slid off of the wall and only stumbled minutely. There was a pressure on her lungs, and she couldn't breath, but it only lasted a few seconds before she forced herself to take in a deep breath. After repeating that a couple of times, it became a little easier to exhale and inhale.