It was Cruel

Depuis le début

As the stars light breaks through the darkness the cries and screams of the wind and animals barking fear subsided in the darkness and their fearsome yells pulse through the garden. I am unable to pick which direction the noise is coming from but as the stars glisten and their light grows the noise fades. You must be keeping us safe is all I can think.

The trees leaves sway and fall whipping the wind around like a game. Green and yellow eyes peer through the trees and brushes past the garden streams. Faster please bring light faster, move the creatures further away. I cannot bare to see them so fearful and distressed. Bring the light to cleanse their souls and make the, new again, make them pure. Heaviness grows over me and I can barely keep my eyes open. Adam I barely speak and I sink into him further and with a yawn...

When I peel my eyes open I see nothing but blinding light. I can't believe the sun it back. My eyes sting with light but if the light is back maybe God is back as well. There are little crumbs in the corners of my eyes I wipe them away to concern about the light to think any more of it. I stand fast bumping the tree as I get up and start to race towards the light.

"God" I yell over and over.

"Eve."

ADAM

I woke when the sky was still black so I closed my eyes again no use straining my eyes to look at nothing. A soft lump is pushed up next to me. I move my hand and find the lump to be eve.

"Eve" I say softly not wanting to wake her if she was asleep but if she was awake. I waited a moment but she made no reply. Suddenly my stomach starts to growl so loudly that I think it's an animal in the tree but I can feel its pressure on me. Slowly I rise placing eves head on the ground, she stays asleep.

"I'll be right back" I say even though I don't think she can't hear me.

I try and focus my eyes on the garden outside the hollow tree. Shadows of images come into my view and I take a step out, carefully and slowly who knows what has happened to the garden since we slept. The wind hisses but I move on my throat is dry and crackled I need water I can't remember how ling it's been since and the growling in my stomach matches the growing growls of the animals.

You are not afraid Adam you are not afraid I repeat maybe if I say it enough it will become true. Maybe I will believe it as well.

A twig snaps under my foot it sounds like bones snapping "I am not afraid" I say and with a deep breath I walk on. The stream I hear its whistling and ripples I'm close I turn slightly towards the noise still unable to see much beyond my own feet.

I stumble onward my foot hitting the water and I fall into its glorious puddle. Cold water surrounds me and I scope up the liquid and put it my mouth my crackled lips soak up the water and I feel free again. The wind whips making my damp body cold again and brings me back to reality. The garden is different and I need to find food and get back to eve before the animals find her first.

A see a small light peaking up and I move to change directions. "God" I call out moving faster to the light. I trip on fallen branches but I keep my head up not wanting the light to disappear before me. But the light only grows larger and brighter. "God?" I call again "its Adam" I run faster and my legs burn and there is no breath left in my lungs God I call out again but it comes out crackled and horse my throat is dry and my bare feet sting with pain from the branches and rocks the light grows and grows but there is no other sign of God. So I pause and watch it grow.

"Why are you doing this?" I ask so softly but if he is here he would hear me no matter what no matter how softly he would hear even if I said nothing at all he would hear. So where are you?

The light grew and grew it became a ball in the sky breaking away the darkness. Breaking away a small piece of fear. I wait a moment looking at the sun until my eyes burn and my stomach growls louder than the lions. After I find breath in my lungs again I move slowly away from the light and into the trees. Not just any trees though fruit trees come into view. Food, my stomach growls in approval. My legs no longer burn and I no longer feel the pain in my feet. The light, this tree, something has to change for the better, it has too, I can feel it.

I gather up as much as I can carry eating my way through as I take so juicy and delicious I've never tasted anything so good. I tie up some leaves and put as much fruit in as I can and make my way back to eve. If I could just remember the way.

I ran towards the light but how long? How far? I turned away from the light but how far did I turn? So many directions and it all looks the same. Tree Tower above so high that even they might be close enough to touch God. Might.

I franticly move my head back and forth looking for any sign of recognition. Where's eve?

I move in what seems like circles not finding eve or the tree and the stream too looks different strange. Eve I call hoping she will be awake and hear my voice through the maze of trees and the roar of creatures around the garden surely getting closer the longer it take to find her the closer they could get.

She is stubborn I think so stubborn she would run to hold the animals to try and comfort them through this madness. I pick up my pace. She's going to be killed if they get to her.

Eve I call out I'm running now still holding the fruit and trying to keep them with me and stop from jumping out of my hands. Eve I call again and again. Then I see her she's calling to God.