Chapter 3

Chapter 3

It’s been weeks or months or maybe even a year since Chris died. Lost track of time. I can’t be bothered to do much. Only shower, eat, sleep and try to look after my little girl.

“Mummy, where daddy?”

I can see tears in her eyes.

“I told you Maddy...he’s-“. I paused. “He’s dead.” I chocked out.

It hurts to say those words.

Maddy stared cried. She’s quite smart for her age and she’s five now. She knows what’s going on.

I hugged her to try and calm her down. I even tried not to cry too.

“Maddy, why do you always ask me?”

“Cause I want this to be a bad dream. It is a bad dream? When can I wake up?” She was still crying.

I wished it was a bad dream too.

“Maddy, it’s like a bad dream except we are living it”. I sighed and pulled away from the hug.

“Mummy, I just don’t like seeing you sad”. She said quickly wiping her tears.

“I don’t like seeing you sad too Maddy”.

She was about to walk away.” And mummy, daddy wouldn’t want us to cry. He wanted us to be happy.” She said smiling.

I smiled too. She was right.

“Yeah”.

 Then she walked out of our room to go and find Ashley. We all live together now, because I couldn’t pay the rent.

I had a shower and went downstairs. Chloe was in the living room sitting on the couch, talking on the phone. I stood behind her.

“We’ll see you tomorrow.”                                                                             

We?

“Yeah, I’ll try and get her to go”.

Me? Oh hell no. I aint leaving this house.

“See you at lunch. Bye”. She ended the call.

She turned around.

“Oh, Hi Alicia.”

I started her.

She sighed.

“I don’t know how much you heard, but Ryan called and were going out tomorrow.”

Ergghhh...Ryan. Hate that guy, He’s Ashley’s dad and he left Chloe when she needed him to help bring up Ashley. 

“He’s changed...I’ve been seeing him...” she explained.

I guess I pulled a face when she said his name.

“Hmm...”

“He has! And I can prove it when we see him tomorrow. He arranged a double date”

I glared at her.

“You’re with his best friend Taylor”.

I glared again.

“It’s been year, you need to move on. Also you haven’t left the house in four months!” she explained.

“So? I tried for eight months to move on. But everything reminds me of him.” I said pacing round the room.