all i ask of you

"I'M not going," Gilly said, not glancing up from the book Felix had sent her. He'd asked if she would read it so that they could talk about it, and, well, who was she to say no to him?

Kayla gasped, spinning away from the mirror she was previously looking in so quickly she fluttered a few inches into the air. "You're not going?"

"Why would I?" Gilly asked. "I don't see the point in hiding your face from the people you know."

Kayla threw her hands in the air, the silky dress she was holding flying above her. "Gilly! It's supposed to be fun, if you even know what that word means."

Gilly rolled her eyes. "I'm very fun, thank you very much. But you know what isn't fun? Masquerade balls?"

"And how would you know?" Kayla questioned, putting her hands on her hips. "You've never been to one."

"Intuition," Gilly replied, turning a page in her book.

"Everyone is going Gilly! You'll be the only one staying at home," Kayla pleaded.

"Oh darn," Gilly moaned with fake sadness. "Whatever shall I do with the school all to myself? The peace and quiet I'll finally get will surely be the death of me!"

Kayla rolled her pretty amber eyes and fluttered back around to look in the mirror. She held the pale blue dress up to herself, examining it. "Fine, but if I hear one word from Jax about how you aren't there, I will be telling Ollie it was you who ate the last of his caramel cakes."

Gilly gasped and closed her book. "You would never!"

Kayla smiled smugly. "Watch me."

Gilly scoffed and turned back to her book, muttering, "It's not like Jax'll be missing me anyway."

She was hoping Kayla couldn't hear her, but she did. Fiddlesticks.

Kayla's eyes lit up and she laid the dress on Gilly's desk chair. "That's right," she purred, stalking towards Gilly like a predator would its prey. "You and bestie are in a fight."

Gilly scowled, looking over the top of her book as Kayla jumped on her bed, making them both bounce. "We are not."

"Are too," Kayla responded, snatching the blue book away from Gilly. She held it over her head and fluttered out of reach. "Come on, babe. I've been dying to know what happened. Neither of you have spoken in weeks and you won't say a word about it to any of us."

Gilly crossed her arms and looked away, leaning back against her headboard. "Nothing happened, we just haven't had the time to talk."

"Please don't lie to me." Kayla set the book beside her and placed her hands on Gilly's knees, tilting her head to the side. Her eyes shone with concern. "I know you, Gilly. I know there's something up and I'm pretty sure it has to do with Jax. I'm worried about you, we all are."

Gilly swallowed. Of course her friends knew, how could they not? She and Jax hadn't talked in three weeks and two days (not that she's been counting). Not since...

Gilly took a deep breath. "Promise me you won't freak out?"

"Pshhh, like I would—"

"Jax told me he loves me," Gilly said without taking a breath in-between, cutting Kayla off.

Kayla made a noise and Gilly winced. They stared at each other, one in complete shock, the other just shy of grimacing.

"He— wow." Kayla sat there, completely stumped. "I mean I knew he did but—"