Chapter 12 - In the Light of a New Day

The wooden steps leading up to the porch slept under white frosty sheets. On the third step from the top two pairs of hiking boots — one pair small, dark brown, laced tightly and coming up over the ankles of its owner, the other one sturdy, tongue slightly hanging out, the hooks that usually held shoelaces, empty and hanging down in shame — had crushed the snowy blanket and made smudges of dark wood visible in the early morning light. The right sturdy boot and the left smaller one, as well as the jeans-clad legs that protruded from them, were set so close to each other that neither snow nor wood was visible between them. On the knee that belonged to the leg in the sturdy boots, two hands were resting, fingers intertwined. One small and one bigger one. Neither protected from the cold by gloves.

And it was still cold. A deep cold, peaceful and quiet, almost an apology and an attempt to make up for the violence and noise of the storm that had passed this way before.

The storm, that was finally over. Now, in the light of the morning, the damage it had caused and the amounts of snow it had carried, were clearly visible. It had taken Vansh's and Riddhima's combined efforts to completely open the front door against the mountain of snow blocking it. They had stumbled out into the new day, breaths already steaming in the morning frost, hands getting cold again, as soon as they touched the frosty and snow-covered banister on the porch. But the sight was quite spectacular. A bright blue sky was visible above them, the last storm clouds hastily retreating into the west. All around them was white. Not a single branch or tree trunk, not a stone or bush, not even the small gravel road leading around the bend and probably to a bigger road beyond, had kept its shape or colour. There was not a single hard edge to be seen, everything was soft curves and round shapes and made of a thick frosty white, glistening in the slowly rising morning sun. Riddhima had secretly waited for Vansh to suggest building a snowman to pass the last minutes before their "rescuers" got here, but then flinched at the thought, remembering they had already had their fair share of winter sculptures. Instead of running into the winter wonderland or even commenting on it, Vansh had brushed away the snow from the first step of the stairs and sat down with a sigh, eyes fixed on the end of what was — beneath the snow — the gravel path.

"How long did they say it was going to take?"

"About 20 minutes."

"That leaves ten more minutes then."

There was regret in his voice and she knew her own voice didn't sound much happier either. She sat down next to him. It felt weird being outside, the world — and not just for the sheer amount of snow and white and blue — seemed unreal. She felt like she wasn't even here, like drifting into someone else's dream. To reconnect with her reality, she slipped her left hand into Vansh's right one. He placed them carefully on his knee without looking at her. She laced her fingers through his and followed his line of sight into the winter morning. Suddenly he smiled.

"We could come back, you know. For a vacation. One day."

"Yeah."

She turned her head and looked back at the front door, wanting nothing more than to get up and head back inside. Neither had said so, but the moment Karan's voice had announced that rescue was on its way, they had both silently decided it would be best to wait outside. To make the goodbye to this place of sanctuary and comfort a little less painful.

Vansh shuffled his feet and pushed some more snow down the steps, almost angrily.

"I don't really want to be rescued", he said.

"Me neither."

"Why don't we just tell them to pick us up in a day or two?"

The corners of Riddhima's mouth twitched.