↳ 22

Ricky and Big Red stared, perplexed, as the whole theater crew entered Big Red's basement. Soon enough, everyone was sitting in a big circle around the room, the awkward silence caused by the previous rehearsal filling the space. 

"This is a terrible party," Natalie complained, finally breaking the silence. Autumn sighed, relieved someone initiated a conversation. "There aren't even pretzels. What are we all doing here?"

"We all ended up in the same basement after a really bad day, so someone should say something." Ashlyn reasoned, causing most of them to nod in agreement. It was true - despite their initial reaction to the horrible news, they had all ended up there, together. 

"Fine! I'll say something." Carlos decides, catching everyone's attention. "I'm mad at Miss Jenn."

"Why? Because she's got a couple of skeletons in her closet?" Gina questions the boy, furrowing her eyebrows. 

"No, because she's giving up. She was the first teacher to not see me as a punch line, and now she's not even a real teacher?" Carlos confesses and Autumn stands up from her seat, between Gina and Ricky, to sit down again by his side, wrapping an arm around his shoulders.

"Define 'real teacher'." Ashlyn mumbles. Kourtney agrees with Carlos, only to be dismissed by Natalie.

"So, why are we all here then?" Natalie asks, realizing that was the question on everyone's mind.

"Good question. This is a waste of time." EJ arguments, earning many confused gazes. "We should be searching for a solution, instead of arguing whether Miss Jenn is worth it or not. We all know she is."

"She gave me a shot." Carlos opens up, sighing. Autumn's hold on his shoulders tightens in reassurance, encouraging him to continue. "And it's been a long time since someone gave me a shot."

Seb grabs Carlos' hand, a small smile on his lips. "She gave me a voice. And I know I'm not the only one... She gave all of us a voice." Autumn speaks, her voice full of sadness and melancholy.

"Yeah, and now nobody is gonna get to hear it because Miss Jenn screwed up," Kourtney says bitterly.

"Okay, does anybody here actually care if her past is a little bit sketchy?" Ashlyn inquires. "Anyone?"

"I do." Ricky finally says, earning a 'Seriously dude?' from Big Red.

"Because you live some perfect life?" Kourtney asked sarcastically.

"Not at all," Ricky answered, standing up from his chair. "Because she put our show in jeopardy. And now we're all here, maybe for the last time, together. And for some of us, this has become... I don't know." 

"A family." Nini completes Ricky's sentence, her eyes tearing up.

"What team?" Ricky asks, waiting for the response that came in unison. 'Wildcats'.

"Okay, Wildcats. So what are we doing about it?" Ashlyn inquires, looking around at her friends, all of them with determined looks on their faces.

﹏﹏﹏

As the school bell rings, the theater crew reunited in the school cafeteria, where Miss Jenn would be facing the board. Autumn and EJ sat in the second row, watching as Miss Jenn answered the questions that were thrown at her by the principal.

Autumn bounced her leg, anxious about their intervention and worried about the result of that meeting. Would they cause even more trouble to the best teacher they ever had by stepping in? EJ placed his hand on one of her knees, successfully calming her down.

After a few minutes, a very loud hum could be heard throughout the room. Kourtney. "What's that? Who's humming?" The principal askedAshlyn quickly stood up, accompanying Kourtney. Ricky, Nini, Autumn, and EJ followed, and soon all the students were standing up, humming.

"Don't say another word." Kourtney sang, raising her radio above her head and letting their tune be heard. 

"Some of us need to be heard." Nini proceeded, being joined by Autumn and Ashlyn in the next verse. "You want her big confession?"

"She never saw Dear Evan Hansen." Kourtney continued, and the theater kids gasped in fake surprise.

"Whatever you think about her, the show can't go on without her." Ricky and Ash sang, the rhythm of the song picking up as all of them moved into their prearranged positions.

"Maybe her class could be a little more classy." Kourtney resumed.

"Maybe her head's not in the game." Ricky and Gina sang as everyone moved along through the choreography they had invented the previous night.

"Maybe her past is just a little bit sketchy." Carlos chimed in. "We need her all the same.

"She's the one who cheers us on, so what if she's dropping the ball?" Seb continued.

"She stands for truth, justice, and songs in our key, she stands for us and we believe." They all sang in harmony.

"Before she got here we were so off track," Ricky started, his verse being completed by Gina's. "Then Miss Jenn gave us a chance."

"We used to fall asleep in chemistry class," Ashlyn followed up, then everyone continued "Now it makes us want to dance."

"She's the show that must go on, so we're putting in a good word, 'cause we heard" Natalie sang, playing with Miss Jenn's hair. 

They repeated the chorus as Mr. Mazzara watched in shock. Ricky even jumped to stand up on a table, a small goofy smile spreading on Autumn's lips at his antics.

"What's our motivation?" Nini started the bridge, pointing at Autumn with both hands.

"She provides the inspiration." The Campbell girl resumed.

"Whatever about her reputation." Kourtney followed, moving the radio so she could point at Miss Jenn, who watched them all in awe.

"Seems about time for a modulation." Ashlyn stepped in, and they continued to dance around their beloved teacher. Carlos even grabbed Miss Jenn, making her stand up and leading her to the front of the cafeteria so she could see the signs they made for her.

"She stands for truth, justice, and songs in our key, jazz squares in the choreography. Sharpay and Ryan, you know they'd agree, she stands for us and we believe. She stands for us and we believe." They finished, forming a circle around Miss Jenn and pointing at her. 

The remaining audience stood up, clapping at the students as they moved out of their pose. "Settle, people, settle down! Settle down!" The principal said in the microphone, gaining everyone's attention once more. "Do we have any further questions?"

"Just one." One of the members of the board said, making them all wait anxiously. "So, how do I snag two tickets for opening night?" She asks, smiling.

Everyone erupts in cheers. Autumn practically jumped on EJ and Gina, hugging them both. "We did it! We did it!" She screamed excitedly.

"You were amazing, tulip," EJ said, chuckling at her excitement, and Gina agreed. 

"The first meeting is adjourned! Ugh, I guess the show is back on." was the last thing they heard as they left the cafeteria, already suggesting places to celebrate.