Execrated Wishes

“Shan, what’s your dream wedding?” tanong ni May.

“Hmm? Wala akong dream wedding eh. Basta ‘yong ikasal ako sa taong mahal ko ayos na ‘yon,” sagot ni Shan.

“Ehh? Sino bang mahal mo?”

“Sekretong malupet.” He smirked.

“Hoy! Ikaw talaga, Shan!” May playfully hit his shoulder and laughed softly.

“Ang ganda talaga ng tawa mo,” her best friend suddenly said.

“A-ano?” gulat na tanong ni May.

“Wala. Let’s just watch the stars. Tingnan mo, ang ganda eh. Parang ikaw lang,” bulong niya.

“I h-heard that!”

“Talaga? Eh manhid ka pala eh.”

“What the fudge?!”

“Hey, look a shooting star!” Shan shouted happily, “Let’s make a wish! Bilis!”

“Lalaki ka ba talaga?” May giggled and they both looked up the sky and wished while their eyes are closed.

“Anong wish mo?” Shan asked.

“I wish we could always stay like this.” May smiled. “Ikaw ba?”

“I wish that you’d never be sad.”

“W-what?”

“I love you, Mayline Mendoza.” He looked towards her and lifted up her chin and kissed her. After a few moments, she kissed him back. It felt like the bliss for them.

+

The confetti and roses bursted from the very hands of her colleagues. Candles surrounding her. A bunch of gifts were near her. She was sitting in the middle of a heart-shape formed petals.

Shan came out of the door and smiled. He was holding a bouquet of her favorite flowers, tulips and white roses.

“S-shan,” she whispered his name while tearing up.

“You deserve the world. So, I’ll be more than that. I’ll be your universe. Since we were kids pa lang mahal na mahal kita. I wished everyday na makasama kita. Na tayong dalawa talaga.” Her workmates squealed in kilig sa mga salitang binitawan ni Shan.

“Will you give me the honor to start a love story with you? Will you be my girlfriend and my best friend at the same time, Mayline Hilary Lim Mendoza?”

“Ahh! Kakilig ka Shan!” sigaw ng mga babaeng workmates niya.

He stepped more near her and handed her the flowers and smiled at her genuinely. His eyes were filled with worry and hope.

“Happy Birthday, princess. Can we finally be official?”

While her tears flowed, May nodded enthusiastically and smiled and hugged him.

He laughed huskily and kissed her forehead habang nagtitilian lahat ng workmates niya, especially the girls.

+

“Tita, seryoso po ako kay May,” Shan said and sighed.

“Then, if so, saan mo siya ititira? Anong plano mo with her?”

“Tita, may mansion po ako sa Makati. Sa isang subdivison doon. I also have a decent amount of pay as an engineer and a business man. Lahat ng properties ko ay kalahati mapupunta sa kanya and the other half to my parents if ever. Wag po kayong mag-alala.”