𝖝𝖎. Max Mayfield

Start from the beginning

And Rue has to admit. It was nice. Max Mayfield is loud jokes and snarky comments. Rue learned Max likes to point at things, and at people, which is ill-mannered, but she didn't mind it because what she says after makes her laugh.

"Hey, check it out," Max said when they stepped out of the bakery. She pointed to a man across the street, walking near the town hall. "That guy looks like he eats donuts for breakfast."

Rue looked up from her cupcake, and once her eyes spotted the man, she snorted, "That's the Chief."

"Oh, shit." Max's face dropped, and she turned away from the man, "You don't think he heard me, did he?"

"Yeah, he's actually coming our way right now. Looks pretty pissed."

"Fuck, are you serious?"

"No, I'm kidding."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah, I'm messing with you. There's no way he actually heard you."

Max smacked her hand on Rue's shoulder, "That's not funny, asshole!"

"Yes, it is."

"No, it's fucking not."

An hour ago, they walked down the street of Rue's neighbourhood, bumping into one of Rue's neighbours who lived across the street from her house. Rue was delighted to spot the baby bump on Mrs. Roberto's belly.

It's been months since she and her husband moved next door to the rat Mrs. Wilson, and despite Lucas's hostility toward the new couple, Rue adores having them around. They're young and still in the honeymoon phase of their relationship and disgustingly in love. Every morning before school, Rue would see the two of them leaving for work, and they'd wave to her and her father, matching smiles and suits.

God, they were so gross and cheesy, like the couples in the movies.

Rue fucking loved them.

Rue thinks they're cute, a breath of fresh air in the neighbourhood compared to the dreaded Mrs. Wilson.

Lucas has doubts, finding them suspicious, too perfect, and too nice. "Why here?" He'd say, "Why not somewhere nicer? If they have the money, why move to Hawkins? They seem too happy, it's fucking weird. And what's with the colour they painted their house? Where do they think they are, a movie from the 50s?"

"Hey, Rue," Mrs. Roberto waved when she saw the girl walk past her front yard. The woman was stepping into her car, a hand on her pregnant belly before she stopped. Her face softened when Rue stopped by her flower bush, "Making new friends? I notice those boys aren't with you today."

Rue smiled widely, unable to hold back at the sight of her kind neighbour who temporarily took the place of Dani Patel while she was gone. Rue didn't turn, but she heard Max shuffle her steps and come closer from behind.

"This is Max. She just moved here. I was showing her around town."

"Hi." Max said stiffly, no longer feeling chatty in the presence of someone new.

Mrs. Roberto raised her brows at Max, nodding, "Welcome to Hawkins, Max. There's not much to show. It's a bit boring."

"Tell me about it," Max huffed, "This place is a fucking shitshow."

Rue grimaced at Max's choice of words, embarrassed when Mrs. Roberto's eyes widened at the bad use of language by someone so young. Rue glanced at the woman again, and her eyes fell to her pregnant belly.

"How's the baby?"

Mrs. Roberto eased again, "She's doing good, healthy."

Rue beamed, "It's a girl! What're gonna name her?"