Grandma Camila

As I walked in, the little bells above the door chimed, announcing my presence. Camila rushed out if her office, her steps light and lively.

"Ant, you finally came! I was thinking that I would have to look for another chef for this place. But sadly nobody cooks as well as you do. Oh, come here child."

As she enveloped me in a hug, she accidentally touched a spot that was still sore from my morning beating. I flinched.

"What's wrong, niña? Why did you flinch?" She asked me, panicking.

"Nothing! Just a sore spot. I'm fine, really."

Grabbing me by my wrist, she pulled me into her office and sat me down on her desk.

"Take off your shirt." She ordered. I tried protesting bit she gave me a hard look, which meant she wasn't going to budge. Which meant I could either obey or sit here for the rest of my evening.

Slowly, I peeled the shirt off me, revealing bruises of all shapes and sizes all over my torso. She looked horrified. She commanded me not to move as she grabbed a first aid kit off the shelf behind me.

"Don't worry abuela. I already took care of them myself." I tried dissuading her from tending to my injuries but she wouldn't budge, so I had to endure a while of her prodding and poking, smearing my injuries with this salve or the other.  An uncomfortable tingle here, a burn there and a chill all over. Half an hour of stitching and bandaging was the 'small' price I had to pay to ease an old lady's nerves so I could be released to begin my shift. At last she was done and allowed me to leave her office.