Metal Post - flash fiction

As I stare at his face, I remembered the first time I saw him, like it was just yesterday.  I remembered his eyes when he looked at me for the first time, I remembered having butterflies in my stomach when I saw those gorgeous brown eyes, even for no--“BANG!”

Ouch!!! As I closed my eyes so that I could not see the birds circling above my head, I reached up to touch my forehead, and surely, I could feel a small bump appearing.  Take my advice; don’t ever, ever, ever, ever, ever read while you’re walking.  After a minute or two still on the same position, I finally opened my eyes; at least the birds flew away, so I tried to avoid the throbbing pain I felt on my forehead. 

As I picked up my book, I mentally kicked the metal post, just mentally; I don’t want to come home with a bump on the forehead and a sprained ankle.  If it weren’t for the metal post, I should have finished the story, oh well, I know already how is the story is going to end, but still, I should be head over heels by now, daydreaming that I am that girl.  I snapped back to reality, and then I realized that I am on the front gate of my house! Whoa, I didn’t even remember walking. I guess I’m a little disoriented by now.

“Welcome home dear,” my mom said as she saw me entering the house.

                “Hi mom!” I said, smelling the aroma of the food from the kitchen. Which, I am guessing that will be our dinner.

                “Oh! I forget to tell you that the drive for the homeless will be tomorrow, I like you to come and help there, we need more volunteers.” She said as she added some salt in the frying pan.

                “But mom, I have plans already!” I said softly, hiding the anger of my voice.

                “Shannon, don’t start now, will talk about this later on dinner.” she said sternly.

                Without saying a word, I went upstairs to my room and change.  Honestly, I love my mother, but I’ve already told her that I have plans tomorrow with my friends.  I have already asked her permission last week and she agreed, but I knew better to answer her back. 

                Oh! I didn’t even tell you who I am.  I am Shannon Spier. I’m 16 years old and I live here in the New York.  I have 2 older brothers but they are working now.  My father only goes home at weekends.  So basically, it’s me and my mother most of the time.

                I heard my mom calling me for dinner. I went downstairs and set the table.  We ate for a couple of minutes in silence.

                “Shannon, I know that you’ve got plans tomorrow but you could always watch the movie next week, we really need more volunteers.” She said, breaking the ice.

                “But mo-“I didn’t even finish my sentence when I caught her eyes.  She gave me her “do-what-I-say-no-buts look” and I instantly I knew I was defeated.

                “Ok, I’ll go there tomorrow, what time should I be there?” I finally asked.

                “We will go there together at 8:00 am”

                “Ok, what can I help there?

                “You could distribute the goods we packed, you could also assist some of families’ needs.”

                “Ohh...” Sounds like tomorrow will be an interesting day.

                After dinner, I decided to finish the book.

                “…w, and as I snapped back to reality, I realized that he saw me staring at him, I blushed. He laughed and gave me the warmest smile ever, and I knew instantly that he was the one.”

                Why does every romance book full of clichés? It’s the same lines again and again, but still I like them. Finally, I put away the book and went to sleep, thinking I am going to have a long, long day tomorrow.

After my alarm went off the next morning, I literally dragging myself towards the bathroom.  Waking up early on a Saturday morning is not my style.

“Ready?” My mom asked me.

“Yeah.” I said trying to sound excited.

                When I arrived there, I was pretty shocked; I didn’t know that I am very lucky till now.  As I saw hunger, thirst, and fatigue plastered on the faces of the people, I knew that I made the right choice going here.

                “Whew!” I said, as the drive is about to end.  I actually enjoyed helping the homeless people for the past hours.  Yay! I finally did something good for all these years. I--“BANG!”

                Ugh! Not again! I realized that I hit the post really hard that the impact was really strong and I know that I’m going to fell down.  I closed my eyes and waiting for the thudding sound but it never came.  I realized strong hands hold me back. I opened one eye and I saw my savior, I know he was trying to hold his laughter back.  So I get up embarrassed, trying to cover my humiliation. 

                “Thank you, you’ve got really strong arms there.” I said with a smile.

                “You think so? I guess gym is not that useless,” he said. We then laughed at the same time.

                I don’t know what happened, but the instant our eyes meet, I felt goose bumps appear on my skin, the good goose bumps.  He suddenly smiled at me, I blushed.

                “Hey, you look cute when you blush, I am Zach by the way.” He said, looking at me oddly with his eyes.

                “I’m not! Call me Shannon.” I said gulping, mesmerized by his eyes.

                “So Shannon, you want some drink? You really look tired, my treat.” He said with a teasing smile.

                Suddenly, I’m thinking that maybe clichés aren’t always corny, and maybe romance does really exist in the real world, maybe, daydreams do come true. I think I’m going to figure out that now. 

                “I love to.”