|| cairo ||

Marc took a swig of whiskey as he glanced at the mirror. Steven had his arms wrapped around him as he looked on with sorrow in his eyes. The mercenary looked away and took another drinks. He should have protected Karina and yet he failed and now she was dead because of him.

The mercenary had begged for Khonsu to revive her, but the deity refused and said that he needed to pay the price of his actions. Marc knew that Steven Grant had feelings for the Russian and had been planning to ask her out, but know Steven wasn't able to fulfill his wish.

"It's not your fault." Steven Grant whispered, his voice cracking.

"I should've kept her safe and you know that." Marc replied, taking yet another swig. The alcohol soothed the mercenary's guilt and regret. Marc knew that it wasn't a healthy way to cope but he just didn't give a shit.

Unbeknownst to the two, Anubis; the god of the dead had decided that he needed to step in and select a new avatar to help Khonsu's to help prevent the return of Ammit.

The god teleported his new avatar to a hotel and waited for her to wake. He knew that she was going to be terrified when she awoke. After all, He did have the head of a jackal. The deity had healed her and brought her back to life—it was a basic ability of the Egyptian gods.

Anubis was one of the very few gods who could change their appearance if they wished. Normally he would do so in order to ease the fear his newly elected avatars would experience. His eyes landed on the still form of his new avatar, her chest rose and feel with every breathe she took.

Anubis found humans rather interesting. He loved getting to know them and learning all about their cultures, religions, languages, etc. He never had an avatar with powers before and the deity found her to be an interesting enigma.

Karina felt like she got hit by a train. She let out a groan as she sat up. She lifted up her torn shirt to see that the claw marks from whatever attacked her had faded into a scar. "Impossible." She thought before smoothing her shirt down.

"Hello dear," She heard a deep voice say. "I am Anubis and you are now my avatar."

The brunette Russian looked around the room to find the source of whoever was speaking to her. She chewed on her finger nails—a habit the Russian had developed whenever she was anxious. Karina slid out of the bed and looked in the mirror. She jumped in fright when she saw an entity with the head of a jackal standing behind her.

The assassin whipped around ready to face whoever she believe was trying to scare her. She furrowed her brows when she realized that there had been nobody standing behind her.

Karina could feel her heart beginning to race and her skin grew increasingly warm. She felt as though the world was about to close in on her. It seem as if a weight had been put on her chest as she struggled to catch air. Her knees gave out and she tumbled to the floor. Small sobs began to wrack her being.

"Breathe." She heard the same voice from earlier say.

"I-I can't," Karina whimpered as she continued to sob. "I don't want to die. Please don't let me die."

"I know you're scared," Anubis whispered, doing his best to relieve the panic attack the mortal was having. "You have every right to be. But you will overcome this. I know it."

"I-I've never been this scared before." Karina muttered to her self as she closed her eyes and focused on her breathing like the deity said.

"I need you to aid Khonsu's avatar in preventing the resurrection of Ammit," Anubis started and knelt down to look the human girl in the eye. "Do you accept?"