And I'm okay again.

Except... I'm not actually okay anymore.

Because the floorboards I'm staring at are not pale anymore, neither are they old and worn. They are so polished the sun is sending a bright beam right into my eye. When I look up, the master bedroom is thoroughly furnished, and there are many sounds of lively activity coming from downstairs – and even out in the hall.

I'm also very, very naked.

I know what's happened but I don't understand how!

I woke up in the fucking past. The hell? I was meant to be given charms. Claudius was meant to fuck me. Then I was meant to make a wish. That's how he was meant to return to his time. So what the actual fuck happened last night?

I grab the bed, and pull myself to my feet tentatively, as I gaze around the room... and all my belongings are gone. The bay window that was lifeless but pretty enough, is now full of plush pillows and golden thick curtains. The bed... has a dress on it.

A dress for me.

It's laid out like that. Obviously for me.

It's black and white. With a specific design. A very plain design... because it's for a maid.

As I'm staring at it, my stomach is churning and my heart is erupting with rage at the realisation just as the door swings open and a real life man walks in, and then the door shuts.

But I know his footsteps.

I cross my arms over my naked chest, as I turn toward him.

I'm staring at a man who killed me last night.

Without my permission.

A human – fucking – sacrifice. But never mind that.

Claudius Fontaine is alive, a Lord and very much... here.

The amount of colour on him has me stupidly blushing, when I should be trying to kill him in a pool of his own blood.

Look at him, wearing dark blues and bleach white cuffs, and his hair nearly styled.

And his cruel mouth, perfectly curved up in satisfaction.

"You passed my approval, Alix – you got the job," Fontaine nods toward the maid's uniform, gesturing toward it, "I suggest you put it on and get out of here... before my fiancé sees you like this. For the record. I know what you sacrificed – for us to be together again."

And by us, he does not mean him and I.

Fontaine's now vibrant unrecognisable blue eyes, rake over me quickly, as if he didn't mean to give in. Then he nods, as if approving of some unknown decision – then he turns and walks out, the door slamming shut behind him.

He used me.

He seduced me and it was all a fucking lie.

I am still in shock, as I walk around the bed and slowly attempt to put on the uniform myself. What else could I do? It's heavy and uncomfortable. I put it on because there is no other option. There was a family and all their guests and all their workers outside this room right now – living in the past.

I was at the mercy of my Lord; who had given me a job.

I guess you could call that a mercy?

As my rage turns to feeling numb, it quickly rises back up as fear. I was scared.

Claudius just took my life from me. He had no soul, I swear.

When I'm dressed, I turn toward a large mirror opposite the bed, leaning at the edge of a plush rug.