Chapter I

I was at the Curtis place again, when Steve came running in, out of breath. "Dallas, why on earth did I run into your father down the street?"

"What?"

Steve paused, trying to regain his breath. "Your dad's lookin' for ya. He must've been mighty drunk-he was ranting about some sister of yours."

I clenched my fists, running out of the house. "I gotta go talk to my old man."

I found him searching the lot for me, so I ran up to meet him. "Dallas," he growled. "Explain why I just had to sign paperwork to take custody of a daughter I didn't even know I had."

"I ain't gotta clue."

"Well, she's your responsibility now! I don't want anything to do with her!" My old man staggered off down the street.

"She'd be better off with me, anyway!" I was raising my voice as I ran towards my house. I didn't live there anymore-I stay at Buck's. "Poor girl went from one abusive home to the next," I muttered under my breath.

I ran into the house and searched every room until I found the small child my father had yelled at me about. She was cowering in the corner of what used to be my bedroom, and tears were silently running down her face.

"Hey," I whispered, causing the girl to jump in fear. "I ain't gonna hurt ya."

She looked about five or six, maybe, light blonde hair falling halfway down her back in ragged curls. Her bright blue eyes were filled with tears, and her naturally pink lips were quivering.

"What's your name?" I asked. My sister didn't answer. I think she was too scared to. "I'm your brother-I gotta know these things."

She didn't say anything. She just grabbed a ripped paper and dull pencil, and sloppily wrote her name. Marylynn. I was surprised she knew how to write her name already. "Can you talk?" She shook her head. "Alright. I won't let anything happen to you, Marylynn," I said, gently.

I walked into the Curtis house, my sister on my shoulders. "I thought you didn't like kids. How'd you pick up this one?" Steve shouted with a laugh.

"Don't talk like that about my sister." I nearly slapped him across the face.

Steve's jaw dropped. "So, your dad wasn't drunk after all."

"Oh, he was very drunk. But not a drunk liar."

"So, what's the girl's name?" Sodapop had joined the gang.

"Marylynn," I said.

"Nah, you don't seem like a Marylynn," Ponyboy sighed.

Everyone was silent. Sodapop lit up. "Maybe we can call her Mary, or Lynn."

"Or Minnie!"

"Two-Bit!" everyone shouted.

I thought for a moment. 'M' from Mary, 'innie' from Lynn... Marylynn...Minnie. It had a nice ring to it. "No, no... I like it."

I set Minnie down on the couch, and she laid down to go to sleep. "Man," I said. "I don't know what I'm gonna do with this kid."

"Yeah, even a tough guy like you couldn't survive at your dad's place. This helpless kid ain't gonna last a day," Soda said.

I sat down beside the sleeping girl. "She can't live with me at Buck's, either. A kid can't live at a bar."

Darry walked in from the kitchen. I wasn't even aware he'd been listening. "You and your sister can stay in our spare bedroom, but you've gotta learn to pull your weight around here, Dallas."

I immediately turned around and started toward the door. "Where are you going?" someone asked.

"To pull my weight around here."

"What about Minnie?"

"She's sleeping. She'll be fine."

I walked straight to the Dingo. I knew they were so desperate for workers that they'd be willing to hire someone with a reputation like mine. I got the job without an interview, and I returned to the Curtis house.

"Good, you're back. We were gonna come out lookin' for you," Darry said.

I was puzzled. "Why?"

"Minnie doesn't feel well. She's been trying to hide it, though, and she's doing a mighty fine job, too."

It's because my mother never helped her when she was sick. I knew that was the problem. I just knew it. Minnie was cuddled up by Two-Bit, shaking slightly, and watching Mickey Mouse.

"Heya, Minnie. Where does it hurt?"

She pointed to her arms, legs, stomach, and head in one motion, and started to point to other places.

"Everywhere?"

Minnie nodded. I scooped her up in my arms and carried her to a small, makeshift bed someone had made in the spare bedroom. I tucked her under a blanket. "Goodnight, Minnie," I whispered. I sat by her the rest of the night.

I woke up the next morning, and Marylynn wasn't in her bed. I found her roughhousing with Steve. "You feelin' better?" I asked her.

She shook her head. Her eyes were tense and had a tired strain to them. She played anyway. "Lay off her, Steve. I don't think she feels too hot," I said.

Steve pouted like a child. "C'mon, man. Just a few more minutes?"

I gave in. "Fine."

Darry walked into the room. "When do you start work?"

"Tomorrow night. I've got the night shifts."

"Night shifts at the Dingo are pretty rough."

"Yeah, I know. I've been the cause of that for a while, but I just don't want Minnie to be alone all day."

"Tuff enough."

I noticed that Steve and Minnie had quieted down. Minnie was still trying to play, but it looked like every move caused her pain. "Darry, should I take her to see a doctor?"

"I dunno... she might just be sick."

I thought for a moment. "You're right, but typical body aches aren't usually this bad." I turned to Minnie. "How much does it hurt? Use your fingers."

She held up her hand and showed me her fingers. She held up eight fingers. There was a brief flash of pain in her eyes, and a ninth finger shot up. After a moment, that finger went down.

"Is it like this very often?"

She nodded.

"Listen, kid. I'm gonna take you to see a doctor. They can help you."

Darry jangled the keys. "Let's go."

I turned to him. "You're coming?"

"Yeah. I've never seen you be a responsible person, so this might be a little hard for you."