𝐨𝐧𝐞

what is the worst thing someone has ever told you?  was it that you had bad breath?  or maybe you failed that test you had been studying for all night. 

     "y/n,  we need to talk."

     oh no.  the worst thing a parent could say to you.  what now?

     i sat in the green chair in our living room,  across from my parents who were sitting on the couch.  i loved this seat.  i remember when we got  this seat 15 years ago.  my family moved a lot.  i was actually born in oahu,  hawaii.  when my mom decided it was time for another kid while on vacation, and yeah...  

     my mom decided she loved oahu so much,  they moved there "permanently" and thats where they bought this chair.  it has been with us in hawaii,  italy,  north carolina... ,  ohio,  new york,  and now florida!  this is the chair where i lost my first tooth,  watched my favorite movie for the first time,  got my favorite christmas gift...  but i don't need to go on.  you get the idea.

     "y/n,  we have news."  my mom said,  sighing,

     "well what's up?"  i looked in between my two parents.  it must be we're moving or... we got you a cat!  or maybe that i won't ever have to see my brother again.

     "your dad and i are going away next week."  my mom looked at me with her eyebrows raised.

     "oh.  uh... what do you mean you and dad?"  just the two of them?  i always went with them on trips.

     "listen,  we are going back over to north carolina to visit your aunt kim.  she is having her baby and wants us to be there.  we will be there for only a month or two.  ever since her divorce with..."

    well i wasn't listening anymore!  this was crazy.  why couldn't i come?!  well not that i wanted to,  but it beats staying here by myself for two months!  my dad's sister,  kim?   a mess.  she has five kids and is just now a single mom.  her husband asked for a divorce because he "found someone new"  or something.  i mean i feel bad for her and all,  but she's a total nut-job!  i mean c'mon.  last time i saw her,  was when we lived in north carolina and we were living with them for a while as we were looking for a new house.  in the time i was with them,  her kids drove me crazy and she would always make us do these lame rituals for her witch club thing.  yeah,  potions and all.  

     "y/n,  listen to your mother.  we have already made the decision."  my dad said.

     oh now he speaks.  i look up from the floor and up at my mom.

     "oh so what?  you're just going to leave me here?!  to starve and die of my own boredom?!"  i stood up.

     "hey-"  my dad furrowed his brows as i stood up.

     "no,  of course you aren't staying here by yourself for a month!  you are going to wolverhampton.  you are going to stay with your aunt karen and uncle geoff."  my mom folded her arms.

     i sat down.  

     "all the way to england?  but i barely know them!"

     "y/n."  dad said giving me a look.

     i lay in my bed,  wondering what this would be like.  i'm not being dramatic.  i had never really been without my parents.  i have always gone with them.  if i'm being completely honest,  i was kind of scared.  i mean,  living with family that i barely knew,  almost 4,000 miles away from my parents...  i don't know what to think or expect.  

     it was february 12th and i was about to board the plane.  i was going to boston,  then amsterdam,  then arrive at birmingham.  

      i hugged my parents.  i had calmed down ever since last week and realized i had no say in it either way.  

     "i love you guys.  i will miss y'all."  i said to them and my mom kissed my cheek.

     "we love you kiddo.  good luck.  be nice!"  my dad said as i walked off.

     i boarded the plane and looked on my ticket.

     "seat 1D.  here it is..."

      i put my luggage away and sat by the window,  clutching my bag uncomfortably.  i had been on many planes before,  but never alone.  

     my thoughts were interrupted by the seat next to me shuffling.  i looked from the window to the girl sitting next to me.  

     "oh thank god you're not some old dude."  i said smiling.  i should probably make conversation to distract myself.

     "haha back at ya.  i'm victoria."  she said returning my smile.

     "y/n.  i feel like i recognize you from somewhere."  

     the brunette shrugged and looked away for a bit then back at me.

     "so where are you headed?"  she asked,  sitting on her hands and kicking her feet back and forth.

     "birmingham...  england.  going to visit some family.  how about you?"

     "i'm going to boston to visit my grandma.  she's uh...  dying."  victoria pursed her lips and looked at the ground with her eyebrows raised.

     "oh gosh um-  i'm so sorry.."  i said awkwardly trying to make eye contact.

      "no it's all good.  i didn't know her too well,  but i'm meeting my parents up there and stuff."

      "oh okay."

     we sat in silence for a while.

     i felt a tap on my shoulder and turned to victoria.  she was holding out a piece of spearmint gum.

     i took it and unwrapped it saying,  "thanks.  i hate when my ears pop."

     "same.  how'd you know it was for that?"  victoria chewed on her own gum.

     "well i travel a lot with my family.  i have a whole box of spearmint gum in our pantry.  we are always prepared.  well...  maybe i wasn't."  i mentally slapped myself and looked out the window.

     "so...  you have any hobbies?"   now she was trying to make conversaton.

     "well traveling,  and i like to read...  erm i can surf,  i act a bit-"

     "ohmygoshwaitreallywhathaveyoubeenin??"

     i have never heard a human being speak faster.  what have i been in?  oh gosh she probably thinks i act act.

     "oh no no no.  i take acting classes.  it's fun i guess."  i shrugged.

     "oh sorry haha.  i act too.  i've been in a couple of shows...  it's my dream to be famous one day."   she sat back in her seat and relaxed.

     that's probably where i recognized her from!  being famous is quite the dream.  i don't think i could survive in that world though...

     "ladies and gentlemen,  this is your captain speaking.  the plane will be taking off shortly."

*************************************************************************************

𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐠𝐮𝐲𝐬𝐬!! 𝐢 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐲 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮 & 𝐢. 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐝𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐬𝐨 𝐟𝐚𝐫?

*************************************************************************************