04: A Barrel of Laughs

Start from the beginning

As the four new recruits raced to follow obediently after her, Charlie shared a look with Mabel which made the older girl laugh lightly, presumably because Charlie's fear was showing on her face. Mabel reached for Charlie's hand and gave it a squeeze of reassurance in place of words, wisely wanting to avoid being overheard by the lieutenant, then looked up just in time to see Maddox turn a corner.

The ward they were stationed in was on the left side of the hospital and its windows looked out onto well tended gardens. Charlie realised the ward must have been at the back of the hospital, which meant it took a while to walk there, yes, but at least they'd be tucked out of the way.

The ward was smaller than any Charlie had seen or worked in during training, containing a mere six beds and one back office. Everything was white, from the floor to the bed sheets to the pillows on top of them, and the only spot of colour was the blackout blinds on the windows, pulled up to the top to let in the daylight, though as soon as night fell she knew they'd be pulled straight back down again.

"You'll see those everywhere," Maddox said out of nowhere. When Charlie turned to her she found her gesturing to the blinds, having caught her looking. "Even in the countryside we have to be careful of the Germans dropping bombs."

Charlie obviously hadn't been the only one to catch the use of the word 'we', as though the lieutenant was as familiar with the British experience of the war as the locals in the village they'd be stationed in. "How long have you been here?" Autumn asked, one red eyebrow lifted in curiosity.

"About a month," answered Maddox promptly.

Mabel scoffed, which made Charlie's eyes widen as they flicked immediately back to Maddox.

"It feels like longer when life is so different to back home," Maddox added stiffly by way of explanation. "You'll get used to it too, soon enough."

"Do you like it here?" wondered Charlie. She ran one of her hands thoughtfully over the sheets on the nearest bed, surprised at how rough they felt when they looked so soft. She pitied the person who'd have to endure lying under such sheets - though, upon reflection, that would likely be the least of their worries.

"Whether we like it here or not doesn't matter," the lieutenant answered coldly, all emotion gone from her face once more. "We're here because the army says that's where we're needed, so we stay here and don't complain."

Charlie was sure her cheeks were a violent shade of red as she nodded to ensure Lieutenant Maddox knew she understood. She removed her hand from the bedsheets and turned her gaze out of the window, willing the flames in her cheeks to die. It had been a stupid question. How hadn't she realised what a stupid question it was before she'd said it?

"Damn, she was just askin'," Mabel objected in Charlie's defence.

"And I'm just answering," replied Maddox smoothly. "What's your name, Lieutenant?"

Charlie stiffened, frowning as she stared intently at the side of Mabel's face, willing her to glance at her so she could assure her she didn't need defending.

But Mabel refused to look away from where she was staring defiantly at Lieutenant Maddox. "Mabel." She tilted her chin up as the lieutenant approached her.

"Your last name," Maddox said, setting her jaw and folding her hands behind her back.

"Edison."

"Second Lieutenant Edison," Maddox began, coming to stand before Mabel with a hard look in her eyes.

Mabel stared back equally as fiercely into the icy blue of her superior's eyes, refusing to cower. Charlie couldn't help but admire her fearlessness; she was impossible to intimidate.