Chapter 3: An Asari on Mars

(Y/N)'s POV

"Hey, niño!" I hear after the daydream I had as I feel someone shoving my shoulders. I quickly snap out of my thoughts and look over to see James still shoving my shoulders. Wait...did he call me a child? I mean, sure, I may probably be the youngest serving the Alliance and even look like it but come on... "Come on. We're already here. Get in the shuttle." He tells me before heading over to the shuttle with his helmet in his hand. I just watch him walk off as I wonder how long I had wasted...it certainly didn't feel like it was a long time...I then hear someone giggling from behind. I turn around and look to see Jane doing the giggling. I look at her confused. "W-What?" I ask. She stops giggling and shakes her head, smiling. "I'm sorry, (Y/N). I thought it was funny. You were just so deep in thought ever since you got here. You seem so distracted...I wonder why." She says, placing her hand on her hip as she smirks. I take time to think about what she is saying but then I start blushing. "T-That's not why!" I say, feeling embarrassed...even though it's true that I was thinking about both her and Ashley, I shouldn't be. After my response, Jane proceeds to giggle again. "I'm sorry...you're just so cute." She says, which made me blush more. Of course, wanting to get away from it, I just simply walk to the shuttle. "I-I'll see you there." I say but I was stopped by Ashley, who was standing by the shuttle. "Hold on...forgetting something?" She asks. I blinked and look at myself and realize that I'm not carrying my weapons. "R-Right!" I quickly back to the weapons rack and went to grab my gear. That's when I also hear Ashley giggling behind me...great. Now I got two women on me...what's going on today...maybe perhaps I should stop daydreaming...but it's weird. I hardly ever daydream until Jane brought me back. I hope daydreams don't happen anytime soon, especially while on the job.

After putting my armor on and grab the weapons I use specifically, I head over to the shuttle and see that James, Jane, and Ashley are already inside. "Took ya long enough." James says as he moves over to the driver's seat. I rub my neck and step inside the shuttle, closing the door after entering. "Sorry..." I say softly. Jane chuckled a bit. "Pay him no mind. That's just how he is." She tells me. "Oh...I-I kind of figured..." I say softly to her, making sure no one else heard it. I take a seat and watch as James drive us out of the Normandy and down to Mars. Truth be told, I have never explored Mars before so it would be very interesting...actually, speaking of which, I still don't know why we are going there. I look up at Jane, who is still standing. "Commander...I have to ask. Why are we going to Mars exactly?" I ask. Jane looks over at me. "That's right. I haven't told you why. Just as soon as we got to the Citadel, Admiral Hackett contacted me about a certain Asari friend we know in Mars researching something. We are not sure yet." She tells me. As soon as she mentioned an Asari, my immediately thought of Liara T'Soni. Sure, there was Samara and Aria T'Loak but whenever I think of an Asari, I think of Liara. She had been with us for so long that it's hard not to forget about her. "But...why are we going there? Are we just gonna visit her or something?" I ask, before remembering that we are carrying weapons. Jane raises an eyebrow. "I hope that was sarcasm...no, because we got reports of some organization attempting to take over the facility she is currently in now. We are simply trying to investigate and...hopefully Liara is alive." She says, looking out the window. I nod and look down at the floor. "Yeah...I hope so..." I say softly.

After a good few minutes, we finally made landing many yards away from the facility so we don't draw attention. All four of us put on our helmets then exit the shuttle. We each draw out our weapons while scouting the area carefully as we tread through the dusty landscape. We made a drop down a small cliff then moved forward on a path to get to whatever entrance we can find. But we take a pause when we heard chatter in the distance. The four of us take cover behind something and look over to see what's going on. From over here, I can see that there are about 4 armored gunmen and a scientists held hostage while every other scientist over there is already dead. But it seems that one didn't get a chance as he was shot in the head by one of them. "What the hell?" Ashley quietly says as we watch that happen. "Poor bastard didn't even resist them. Why would they kill them? Who are they?" James asked, already loading his clip. Jane observes them more before shaking her head. "I do not know. But what we do know is that they are not the friendly type. We need to come up with something..." She tells us.