Lunch - Emergency (Mercy x Genji)

Rhythmatic beeping.
Medical chatter.
Clinking of metal tools.
Wheels rolling down the corridors.

Though the conditions of the hospital seemed dreadful to most, veteran medic Ziegeler was used to the hustle and bustle of the days. She ran back and forth, suprisingly, never winding herself at all.

She dropped off prescription after prescription, sent orders for prosthetics to the engineers, made appointments with each non-emergency room patient; all in a few, swift motions.

"I'll have you marked for 2 months from now. Thank you for your time, I'll send my consultation." Her sentence ended with a smile, mostly by habit. The woman on the chair smiled back and thanked her.

As the Dr. watched her leave, she hummed to herself as she continued to write lazily on her clipboard.

"Dr. Ziegler?"
"Yes?"
She turned her head at the mention of her name and familar voice.

"It's your break. Reception says you have a visitor."
Her coworker chimed in, almost in a teasing tone, before leaving her with the notice.

With a sigh of relief, she hung the clipboard on the wall with the pen, removing her gloves on her way out the door.

She remembered her lunch break as she walked. She never packed herself anything since she was always on call. I suppose she can miss a meal for today; long as she remembers to make up for it tonight. (She won't)

Suddenly, the other sentence made its way to her mind. "A visitor?" She mumbled to herself, letting the cogs in her brain try to think of an answer.

She knows Morrison's on duty, so is Torbjörn. Maybe it was Lena? Or Reinhardt?

She stopped her pondering as she found the front desk, the rush having died down from earlier. She walked over to the receptionist, who flashed her a smile.

"Good evening, Dr. Zielgler."
"Ah, I'm off duty; you can call me Angela."
She giggled nervously at them, watching them type away at their computer.

"Well, Angela, someone's come to bring you lunch."

The mention of someone remembering her lunch made her feel warm. Just as the words were going to leave her lips, she heard a distinct, yet hushed voice ring from behind her.

"Good morning, Angela!"

"Oh."
Her initial excitement dwindled as she recognized the familar voice of her former patient.

"I've brought you lunch."
The samurai spoke proudly, keeping his voice quiet as he motioned for her.

She forced a smile as she walked him away from the front office.

The two walked comfortably to the hospital's cafeteria, which was on the first floor for convienience. They took a seat at one of the small, round tables.

"So.. Genji."
Despite her seeming down to be around, she could feel his smile through the bulky helmet he wore. He had his hands folded patiently on the table, as though waiting for something.

She let her angry demeanor down for a moment in a deep breath, resting her head in her hand.

"For you, Angel."
Her eyes widened at the sudden nickname, but she didn't say anything. She watched as he pulled out a carefully wrapped box, large enough for him to carry with both hands.

He set it on the table and opened it delicately, as though he'd ruin whatever was inside.

He admired the inside before turning it to the woman.

"Pasta. For your lunch."
His sentence cut awkwardly and he tried to keep his composure. He wouldn't tell her that he tried to make something on his own for her; not now atleast.

She flushed and was taken aback by the dish. It was seperated of warm, savory pasta and flat-looking breadsticks on the other side. The hints of carefully measured spices and additions ontop of the dish made her even hungrier than before.

"Goodness, this looks delicious. Do you mind?"

"Nono, it's for you. Here,"
He grabbed her a fork from the box, carefully wrapped in napkin. She smiled as she pulled the box closer to her, stabbing carefully at the pasta.

Genji watched as she ate, extremely nervous of how she felt of the dish. He watched her expression carefully, the way her eyes would wander or her nose would scrunch in dissaproval. He was on edge.

After a few moments of silent chewing, she hummed, which brough Genji out of his self deprication.

"This is great Genji! Where is this from?"

His eyes went wide in suprise, watching her smile in content with full cheeks. He stammered.

"It was uh- Hanzo's idea. I'm not sure."
He tried to respond coldly, but the slight quiver in his voice gave it away.

She giggled at his nervousness. A part of him feared that he knew. Something about her teasing felt malicious.

Genji watched as she ate, extremely nervous of how she felt of the dish. He watched her expression carefully, the way her eyes would wander or her nose would scrunch in dissaproval. He was on edge.

After a few moments of silent chewing, she hummed, which brough Genji out of his self deprication.

"This is great Genji! Where is this from?"

His eyes went wide in suprise, watching her smile in content with full cheeks. He stammered.

"It was uh- Hanzo's idea. I'm not sure."
He tried to respond coldly, but the slight quiver in his voice gave it away.

She giggled at his nervousness. A part of him feared that he knew. Something about her teasing felt malicious.

For the next few minutes, the two conversed about past missions, reflecting on family and work, all inbetween Angela's bites.

Everytime he joked, she would laugh. He always followed since it was contagious and like heaven to his ears.

He looked down and seen she'd finished most of her food; only scraps of pasta being left behind.

As they wrapped up their, seemingly short talk of Maximillion and Talon, a reciever on Angela's waist beeped a few times.

"Ah, I suppose I'm needed elsewhere. Thank you, Genji."
She smiled at him warmly.

As much as she'd tell him otherwise, his strong, yet gentle presence always made her feel appreciated. This warmth in her cheeks and fluttery feeling in her heart made her giddy; like a teenager all over again. It was unfamiliar, but she welcomed it.

She heard the man chuckle and made up her decision before he kept talking.

He raised his hand in motions as he prepared to speak, but was stunned by the doctor leaning forward from the table and planting a soft kiss on the top of his helmet.

He took a pause and moved his hand to where she had kissed. He left it there as though it'd leave him.

"Angela?" He kept himself from stuttering.

"Yes, Genji?" She acted nonchalant as she turned to leave, not letting him see the smile beaming on her face.

It took him a while to respond.
"May I come bring you lunch tomorrow?"

"Whenever you'd like, Genji. Goodbye now."

The response brought heat to the ninja's cheeks. He didn't know why she kept repeating his name; perhaps it was on purpose. But if he could bring her lunch everyday...

He let his mind wander and he smiled, watching as her distinct humming left his field of hearing.

Angela, however, was looking forward to his unexpected visits now, and would continue to feel those butterflies around him more. The thought of it made her cheeks flush and she smiled. This crush was obvious, but she wanted to make herself feel it over and over again.