Chapter 4 - Dashing Through the Zones

Chris was certain he would start his training like most apprentices he read in fantasy novels. Where the basics would come first that would confusing at first until they figure out what they really mean.

When he woke up and met with the other Freedom Fighters the same day he first took a look at his new attire, they had first told him about Sonic's plan to invite him on a patrol as if it was a lesson about Mobius' environment and typical disasters to worry about first hand. 

Various areas and places that Sonic called "Zones" were full of Eggman robots or "Badniks" in many sizes and shapes. From bees to Pawns, they were usually in open spaces that held an Animal as a source of non draining life energy. 

Around the Seaside Hill Zone, an area of beaches and summer breeze, was a break time for lunch. All Sonic brought was simple sandwiches and bottled water.

"Around here, we don't stay in one place for very long. There are various things that would come after you if you're not watching any movements first."

Chris was certainly more tense at the idea of many dangers on Mobius. Sure there was ways to die in the Wild back on Earth, but hearing what kinds of creatures attacks at night does give one a sense of guard during a sneak attack. And speaking of sudden approaches, both Chris and Sonic became alarmed at a new sound that was way loud than usual.

It was more like the sound of marching feet, only a bit different. Even the animals and Wisps were getting frightened. All Sonic had to do was move a bush from a tree he suddenly climbed on and helped Chris up so he could also see what was from afar. Among the crowd of robots were two figures that looked a bit robotic, but were surprisingly organic. One was a bulking whale-like figure, the other was chubby enough to be a chinchilla

"Your wailing is giving me a reason to burn you alive into fish sticks sooner or later." 

"I was this close to becoming the next Leader of the entire Eggman Empire. Instead, not only was I usurped, but I have to go find some runaway experiment that he kept in a freezer."

"4-08-22 is one of Lord Eggman's special and important projects," The tiny one responded in anger. Strings of electricity circulated around her body as she spoke as if it was reacting to her emotions "We must honor his memory by bringing it back immediately!"

The robots that stood like a perfect square only watched as the two fought. Chris was simply watching the action take fold under curiosity. And as if the Mobil read his mind, Sonic answered his unspoken questions regarding what was in front of them.

"Egg Bosses. Mobians bad enough to join Eggman and get cybernetics. That big grouchy guy is Akhlut and Thunderbolt is the tiny lady that likes to sucker up to Baldy Mc Nose hair."

Chris wanted to giggle at the nickname, but instead only smiled at the thought of Eggman getting irritated, but after hearing about his found to be true demise and the confirmed and leaked knowings that an Egg Successor has been secretly chosen.

While Akhult was with an Egg Pawn that seems to be a commanding unit, Thunder was pulling out on the grass and logs all over the place. Chris only managed to snap back from his thoughts as Sonic leaped out of the branches towards outside where he would mostly be seen. Chris sort of copied his action, but he was careful coming down the hill instead of leaping and surfing it like his new mentor. Of course, the Egg Bosses were surprised since two Freedom Fighters came out of the blue like that.

"Sonic the Hedgehog? And what am I looking at?" "It appears to be some sort of primitive creature." 

"Now that's just rude. We evolved plenty of times" Chris mumbled. As much of understanding what it was like for Sonic and the others back on Earth, it still felt hardcore at his chest.

"Never thought I would just come by earlier, did you?" Sonic asked "That's a lot of Egg Pawns you got here. And from what I heard about some runaway experiment, it looks like your new boss isn't really hanging up some decency."

This drove Akhult to attack with sheer force. With Sonic's speed, he managed to evade the Orca Mobil Egg Boss. Chris was able to evade the charge, but this got the Mobian Orca's attention. That was when he turned and grabbed the Human's arms.

Soon, the feeling of wanting to get him off getting pushed inside of him came out on the outside as a form of crackling rainbow energy from his hand. The moment it zapped Akhult's hand, everyone could see it being burned. As Chris glanced in confusion of his own hands, Akhult tumbled on the leading Egg Pawn causing it to tumble and have its chest plate open. Even Chris could see something red and glowing inside. However he was too busy looking at the strong feeling his hands once emitted seconds ago. Though he did hear Sonic's voice calling out to him through the chaos.

"Chris, that red ring with the star on it. Grab it before it wakes up!"

Chris did just that. Reaching hard enough to take the object in question. The Red Star Ring in his hands felt a little warmer as he kept holding it. Chris never let that ring go as they ran away from the scene even when some of the Egg Pawns chased them through the entire Zone until they managed to lose them by getting them blown up by landmines around Temple Zone where it reminded Chris of the sites of ancient Rome.

Once the two male teens returned to Angel Island, the two boys were met with many cheers and food from today's gathering, or shopping in a different word. Once Chris learned that some the drinks were just a Mobian version of soda, he was relieved.

"Fighting two Egg Bosses and getting a Red Star Ring on your first day as a Freedom Fighter. I remember my first day being a bit different. But it involved a lot of flying in the sky." Tangle said. This was said to be usual conversations after missions and training at this time of hour, Chris heard about. Ella always mentioned that conversations were a big help in establishing friendships and bonds with others including in his own team.

Sonic suddenly stood up, which alerted Chris who noticed no one shared his expression of the blue Hedgehog's actions. Sonic wasn't done with his need for something "Alright, that's enough pride you'll get for today here Chris. How you get some shut eye and we can get back to training tomorrow."

Chris almost wanted to say something, but a small yawned proved a big point of both the hour and his physical connection to being tired. That was enough proof to head back to his room by himself. Sonic only watched him as he felt a finger tapping on his shoulder.

"Sonic, can I talk to you in private?"

Sonic looked around the room and only nodded. He followed his sister towards on empty and barley lit hallway. In her hands was Chris' old clothes though still a little dirty possibly from being in the sun or dust for too long.

"These clothes he was found in, I immediately recognized the pattern and bio-nano material. This sort of stuff is native to the Metropolis factories. The same capital of the Eggman Empire."

Sonic's quills tensed as the location came out from her voice. He still had disturbing memories of the Eggman Empire while being prisoner at the Death Egg. The very fact of one of his own new members being there was a balanced nightmare.

"But he only remembered waking up in a cave. How was he able to escape in his sleep?" 

"Maybe someone helped him?" 

"But that would mean someone met him before Tangle did. The only problem is who and why they helped Chris who was clearly a usual person for a Mobian to even see."

Sonic could tell they were starting to develop headaches from thinking about that day way too much. "Oh this is going to be one heck of a mystery."