Joel sighed and stared down at the blanket in his lap again. It was funny that he never realized how much he missed Etho.

*   *   *

"Grian?" Lizzie's muffled voice came through the door after a gentle knock. "I have some cheesecake if you're hungry. It's not really the healthiest dinner, but..."

Grian glanced over to the door from his spot on the bed, exhaustion keeping him from answering right away. "You can come in," he mumbled, surprised when Lizzie had actually heard him and opened the door.

She didn't look too great; her hair was a mess, her nose was bright red, and she was in her night clothes already. A sudden guilt hit Grian, and he realized that he was probably the reason she was sick.

"I'm sorry," the boy apologized, tears welling in his eyes. Lizzie gave him a confused look as she sat down next to him. "I didn't to make you sick-"

"Honey, you didn't get me sick," she assured him. She lifted a hand to rub up and down his back, probably to try and soothe him, and handed him the small plate of dessert. "It's not your fault, so don't apologize, okay?"

Grian nodded slightly, staring down at the slice of cheesecake. It was a rather generous amount compared to slices he'd had in the past. He would've said something if he didn't feel like his throat was closing up.

Lizzie was quiet for a moment as well, watching Grian carefully before speaking again. "So, what happened with Joel?" she asked.

For whatever reason, that question forced a sob from Grian's throat, a tear or two falling onto his plate.

"Oh, sweetheart..." Lizzie took the plate from him and set it aside to wrap her arms around him. She wasn't surprised in the slightest when he inmediately clung to her like his life depended on it. "Baby, it's okay-"

"It's not okay," Grian sobbed, his fingers twisting tightly in the material of Lizzie's shirt. "It's all my fault! If I wasn't so stupid, then- then-" He hiccuped before letting out another cry, unable to form coherent words.

Lizzie didn't say anything to him, instead rubbing his back and humming to him softly. It was just as calming as it always had been, even despite her voice sounding so rough from being sick.

Grian's grip naturally loosened as he relaxed in Lizzie's arms. "If I didn't run away, Joel wouldn't have t-to leave his flat, a-and- and I would still be living with him," he rambled, pulling away to wipe at his wet eyes.

Lizzie tucked a strand of his hair behind his ear.

"I didn't mean to ruin everything," he cried. "I w-wasn't trying to ruin it-"

"You didn't ruin anything, my love," Lizzie whispered, scowling. Though, it was clear she wasn't scowling at Grian. "It was Joel's fault for neglecting how you felt. He scared you. He should've known otherwise, and how you reacted was not your fault."

Grian stared up at her. "But it's all messed up," he murmured.

Lizzie's gaze softened as her lips curled into a sweet smile. "Nothing is messed up." She leaned forward to kiss Grian's forehead before reaching for the plate of cheesecake to hand it to him again. "Still hungry for some cheesecake?" she asked.

"Sure," Grian said, a small grin pulling at the corners of his mouth. He took the plate from her and hesitantly stuffed a fork-full into his mouth. He sighed, savouring the flavour. "It's been, like, years since I've had cheesecake," he said, his mouth still full. "This is so good!"

Lizzie giggled. "I'm glad you like it," she said. "I made it myself, you know."

Grian's eyes snapped up. "Really?!"