Chapter 2: He Seems Sweet

February 14th, 2199 A.D.

It had only been 2 days since the Yamato launched, although it was a little hard to keep track of Earth time while away from it, they managed. They made it through the first space warp, the first time firing the Wave Motion gun. A huge advantage they have against the Gamilas. Yurisha Iscandar had brought the plans for the wave motion engine in 2198, and Sasha Iscandar brought the wave motion core a year later. Crashing and dying on mars where Kodai and Shima found her.

Yuria walked through the mess hall with her tray to get some lunch.

"Hey Misaki!" Hoshina walked up to her. "Mind if I join you for lunch?" He asked.

"Sure.." She said, getting some salad. After they both got their food, Hoshina pointed out the two friends sitting together, Daisuke Shima and Susumu Kodai.

"They're real peas in a pod those two, I hear they even got promoted at the same time cause the people who did have their assignments, got killed..." Hoshina said, looking at them from across the room.

"That's kinda weird." Yuria said.

"What's weird about friendship?" Hoshina asked, misunderstanding her statement.

"I mean their jobs!" She said leaning close to him, it came off more harsh than she meant.

"They're simple minded boys! Immature and completely self absorbed. They are not role models." Said Yuki from behind them as they turned to face her. Hoshina laughed.

"Yes ma'am! Understood!" Yuria said. As Hoshina looked over to her. "Well come on," Yuria signaled Hoshina to follow her.

They sat at a table. "So um...do you have any family on Earth...or someone waiting for you? Like a boyfriend or Girlfriend?" Hoshina asked.

"Why do you care?" She took a bite of her food.

"Well um...I mean...we should get to know each other right? I mean...we're gonna be on this ship together for a year." He smiled.

"You're right...well no, I've never been in love and I'm an only child, my parents died when I was little. I've been taken care of by other family members over the years until they decided I was old enough to be on my own, last year after I turned 16." She said,

"Oh my god I'm so sorry I didn't mean to-"

"It's fine. It was so long ago..." She said,

"Well, how about a lighter topic...well, what do you want to talk about?" He asked.

"Hmm...I like to sing, that's one thing about me, oh! And I also really like old music, I'm not talking like from 20-30 years ago, no, I like music from like...the 2010s and 2020s, and even as old as the 1900s!" She said,

"I love singing too! And old music! Looks like we have some stuff in common, what's your favorite song?" He asked.

"Scarlet Scarf, by Issao Sasaski!" She replied.

"That's a good one!" He laughed a little. She smiled at him. Even though she was a little annoyed by him, ever since they launched he'd been around her almost every time each of them were off duty. She liked having someone to talk to.

"Hey, mind if I join you?" Asked a girl with a ponytail and yellow scrunchie. "I was sitting over there with Lieutenant Niimi and some others, but you guys looked lonely." She smiled. Yuria looked up to see Mikage Kiryu, they'd met yesterday.

"Sure!" Yuria said.

"Mikage Kiryu, Warrant Officer in the Science division" She said to Hoshina, sitting down with them.