Track 22 | 𝗜 𝗖𝗮𝗻'𝘁 𝗛𝗮𝗻𝗱𝗹𝗲 𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗴𝗲

Começar do início

"Pretty much, yeah," Ari admitted. "I bounced a lot of homes prior to high school. I went from family to family, I... moved around a lot. It was hard, trying to handle all the sudden changes, but I got used to it."

"How come, of all places, you decided to stay here?"

"Well, I... I was never, really, 'in charge' of deciding. It was always the family's decision. If they liked me, they kept me, if they didn't, I was sent back into the system. I guess this was the one place that I felt comfortable enough to not act out."

"'Act out'?"

Eden spoke for Ari, "Apparently, in the foster care community, if you 'misbehave', families have every right to reject you and, if they do, suddenly, you're in this endless loop of hoppin' homes."

"I was a fucked-up kid, I guess. But, I liked it here," Ari said with a shrug. "So I decided not to do any fucked-up shit that got me kicked out before."

"You were a kid, though," I defended Ari, my worry growing for him every second. They talked as if what they were saying was perfectly normal. "Why would families just throw you out like that?"

"I was fucked-up, like I said."

"You were a kid."

"Well, not to them. And not anymore."

It grew quiet in the empty streets. I looked ahead at the path before us, not knowing how to feel. The sidewalk just kept moving beneath us.

"...Cloverland is a nice neighborhood," Ari broke the silence, taking in his surroundings.

"Pssh, yeah, right," Eden scoffed below her breath. I chuckled along with her.

"I'm being serious," Ari declared. "It's nice here. It's a beautiful town. And it's safe. It's better than where I grew up."

Hesitantly, Eden looked up at me, the feeling of regret coming over the two of us.

"Cloverland is nice," Ari repeated, returning to his original statement. "I liked it here. So I decided to behave. Sure, I sneak out and do stupid shit, but at least I'm not doing anything that'll get me thrown back out onto the street. Honestly, they probably still want to, considering how much noise I make in my room."

"...Bonnie and Steven wouldn't, though," Eden shook her head after a moment of silence. She's definitely met them before. I haven't yet.

"You're right, they wouldn't," Ari sighed, scratching his eye. "That's the issue. They're actually good people. As a matter of fact, I think they might love me."

"They love every child they take into their care, it's just who they are," Eden added.

"Yeah. Even if I did think of acting out, what's the point? I'm 18, I'm a senior, I graduate in a few months and, after a few signatures, I'm officially not a foster kid anymore. I get to take this stupid fucking collar off."

"It's kinda hot, though," Eden jokingly flirted, tugging on it gently.

"Ah, don't do that, it's triggering," Ari laughed.

Eden didn't laugh in return, though. It was as if she had recalled some sort of traumatic memory. She just slowly looked away from Ari, setting her sights back onto the sidewalk ahead.

"...Yeah, I agree," I complimented, lightening the mood. "You look hot, Ari."

"Thanks, heterosexual male."

Soon enough, we had made it back to Arizona's house, and as usual, he undid the lock to the gate that led to the backyard. He turned around, standing on the other side of the fence before shutting the wire door on us, taking in the view of Eden and me together.