Chapter 20: Toshinori's Talk!

Start from the beginning

"Thanks. And did your brother get into UA? I thought we didn't know yet." Hitoshi puts in these tokens.

"The letter came this morning, he totally freaked out." I watch the claw finally grab the plush.

"That's great! Tell him I say congratulations." He reaches into the prize box for his cat.

"I will." I nod. Then Hitoshi's phone buzzes.

"Crap, sorry Izuku, I've gotta go." Hitoshi shoves the toy cat into his bag.

"No worries. Bye!" I wave and watch him sprint down the street.

"Bye." Hitoshi waves.

With a sigh I grab my backpack and start walking home. There's no point in being at the arcade alone, it feels weird. I pass by the convenience store, the gas station, and then I'm walking up the hill to my house. Maybe I should text Shoto, his school should be out by now. I already know what he's going to do all summer, the same thing he does every summer, train and avoid his father. So he should be free if he's not training.

"Hey, Izuku! Your school is out now, any parties you're going to?" Tenko laughs from the couch.

"Yes, because I am a party animal. How about you? All your friends getting together?" I tease.

"Ouch. Whatever." He shrugs.

"Is dad home yet?" I peek into the kitchen.

"No, but he said he would be home early." Tenko sips from a soda can and tosses me 1.

"Until then, we should chill." He sighs with a grin running across his face.

"Right. Chill." I sit next to him and flip through my notebook. This is my second year of middle school, I should be planning, not chilling.

Maybe I could head to the beach and get some training in. I could also train in the backyard. My speed isn't bad and my strength is alright for my age, I could use work on my agility and flexibility though. Maybe yoga? Then again I don't want to push my body too hard right after school. I could text Torino, of course I don't want to be a burden or a bother.

"Okay, Izuku. When I said chill, I didn't mean to mutter me to death." Tenko throws a pillow at me.

"O-oh sorry!" I cover my mouth.

"What's with you? For the last few weeks you've been kind of jittery. You're acting weird. Is something wrong?" Tenko leans over to me.

"It's nothing! I'm just... thinking. Tenko, do you think... Do you think my quirk is coming? I mean, I haven't got it yet and at this rate I'm not sure I will. But I don't mean to bother you or anything! I was just-" I start to mutter.

"Izuku. Your quirk will come with time. That's what Recovery Girl said, right?" He takes another sip of his soda.

"Yeah..." I nod.

"Right then. I trust Chiyo and so does dad. If she says your quirk will come then I'm sure it's coming." Tenko smiles.

"Right." I rub the back of my neck.

Thinking about what Tenko said, Recovery Girl wasn't the 1 to tell me that I was a late bloomer. Dad told me. He promised my quirk would come, and he seemed pretty weird about it. Chiyo never said anything about my quirk. She just watched dad and I. The whole thing was a little weird. It makes me wonder if there is something else going on. But I shouldn't doubt dad, we're family after all. He wouldn't be the type to hide something from me. I don't think he would lie.

"Hello, is anyone home?" I hear dad come through the front door.

"We're in the living room!" Tenko laughs.

"Already out of school Izuku? I must have lost track of time on my way home." Dad hugs Tenko or I.

"But you're still home earlier than normal! So what's our plan for summer? I've just got a week before UA starts, let's have some fun." Tenko bounces off of the sofa.

"First, you have to go meet Gran Torino at the mall. He asked me to tell you to meet him there." Dad pats Tenko's shoulder.

"What?! For someone with a speed quirk that he has legal right to use, he sure does like making me come to him." Tenko sighs.

"He's old." I snicker.

"Don't let him fool you Izuku." Dad rests a hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah, dad's right. Oh well, I'll meet up with you guys later." Tenko grabs his bag at the front door.

"Okay, we'll be at the beach." Dad waves.

"What are we doing at the beach?" I look up to dad.

"You'll see." Dad holds my hand.

We jogged to the beach and dad told me about his day. He had fought a giant villain, stopped a robbery, and even kept a building from falling over. His quirk is pretty amazing... Once we got to the beach we did a few running laps before stopping to watch the sun set.

"Izuku, there is something very important I need to tell you." Dad stands next to me.

"What is it?" I try to read his face but it's near impossible when he's in his buff form.

"This is going to be a lot but you have to know the truth. Izuku, you weren't born a late bloomer. You are entirely quirkless. Recovery Girl proved that on the day we went to see her." Dad sighs.

"W-what?" I feel my heart shatter. I've been waiting for a miracle this whole time, I never was going to get a quirk.

"I lied to you because I thought you were too young to understand this next part I'm about to tell you. You don't have to stay quirkless. I was born the same way, I grew up quirkless. But I met my master and she passed down her quirk to me. Izuku, if you want, I can share my quirk with you!" Dad smiles.

"But- I don't u-understand how that would even be possible." I hold back my tears.

"The quirk I use isn't like other quirks. It's been passed down from hero to hero. It's energy has been building up and becoming the overwhelming power it is today. By transferring my quirk to you, we would hold the same power. It would take a lot of training, hard work, and many days before you could start to master it, but I have faith in you, young Izuku. I don't want you to feel pressured though! By taking this quirk you are also acknowledging the ruthless enemies that you'll 1 day have to face. So do feel like you have to say-" Dad rambles on.

"Yes! I-I'll do whatever takes. I've wanted nothing more than to be a hero like you and Tenko my entire life. I want to save people with a smile! Having a quirk would be a good first step. So please, dad, lend me your quirk so I can follow your footsteps!" I grin.

"Right, we'll have to train all summer break. And I can't take it easy on you." Dad hugs me.

"I wouldn't want you to." I smile.