2. June 2021

Your eyes wander up to the vaulted ceiling of the church as the choir serenades the congregation with another song.

Church architecture is so interesting, you think. With its leading lines that train your eyes up to the crucifix or to a metaphorical heaven. And sitting at the back like this gave the best view. Along with a view of all the churchgoers, it never fails to give you a heightened sense of awe and connection.

It's been a few weeks of coming to this church, and you think it's good enough to keep attending. There seem to be a lot of young singles here, in contrast to the 'families and ajummas' dynamic of your previous church. According to Ashley, there's a handful of them who have spent time abroad and speak good English. She promised to introduce you to some.

If you're being honest, you wished you had been attending here since you moved to Korea. That way, you would have maybe felt at home sooner.

The sermon starts and in your peripheral vision, a woman slips into the same pew with you.

You nod to her in split-second acknowledgement, but then your heart skips a beat, and you involuntarily do a double take.

You capture a quick mental image before looking forward again.

She's incredibly pretty. Impossibly smooth skin. Soft, dark eyes. Glasses that frame her face perfectly. Plump lips. Angelic blonde hair.

Maybe she IS an angel? And she looks a bit familiar? Where have I met her before?

In the minutes that follow, you get increasingly nervous being beside this woman. Call it being gay af, but you've spent more time sneaking glances at her than listening to what the priest has to say. Something about being humble and sharing God's love to others? Tbh, it's almost always the same message anyway.

She looks about the same age as you. She's wearing a simple t-shirt and jeans, but they fit so well that they're accentuating her slight hourglass figure.

In contrast to you, the lady in question is a model church-goer. She's listening attentively. Her face suggests that she's reflecting on each word said. She doesn't mind you and looks straight at the altar. Or at least she's pretending to.

Sitting beside her felt like your teenage days all over again. Back when hormones were raging and you entertained the idea of every person your age being a potential match. Your room was filled with posters of boy bands and the occasional Kristen Stewart or Keira Knightley. Back then, you thought you had a crush on Nick Jonas. Little did you know that the reason you had their poster up was because you just really wanted to be in a band.

Anyway, those teenage days were cringe and you are cool and collected now. Heck, some even say you're cool and mysterious. It would be great to live up to that image right about now.

You're at that part of the mass where you sing Our Father . You know, the part where everyone joins hands and sings in the spirit of community and forgiveness... so you muster all the indifference you possibly could before taking her hand.

Your eyes are glued to the altar - remember, indifference, indifference, indifference, towards this lady who kinda sorta is your church crush now.