Not What They Seem

Start from the beginning

Back in the attic of the Mystery Shack, Dipper and Mabel, as well as Waddles, floated off their beds but slept undisturbed. Including Patrick, who was down in the secret bedroom, was unaware of the unearthly blue glowing shining up from the floorboards. It would all come to an end when, with a resounding "thunk", everything in town touches back down to the ground.

Gompers came rushing into the room from the window, startling Patrick who sat up straight. When he saw the goat looking at him, he sighed and patted on the bed. Gomper jumped up and spun around like a dog, before laying down next to Patrick's legs. The young man smiled and petted him before going back to bed. Completely unaware that within 18 hours, everything was going to change.

Back down in the basement, the black ripple in the machine disappeared. This hardly deterred the two elderly cousins, knowing that it was to be expected. "Alright, it's stable for now," Veronica said, looking over the readings and seeing that everything was perfect. "It'll be a bumpy ride until it's fully formed."

"But in the end, it'll all be worth it," he assured her, placing a hand on her shoulder. Stan and Veronica both grabbed a large wristwatch and placed them on their wrists. Together, they synchronized the watches with the steadily ticking countdown, which was still displayed on the monitor. They then looked at one another and did something they hadn't done in years and hugged one another.

"We did. We finally did it," Veronica said as tears ran down her cheeks.

"Just eighteen more hours," Stan said as they pulled away from one another. "Finally, everything changes. Today." A draft of air blew Journal #1 shut. In 18 hours, everything that Stan and Veronica have been working towards for 30 years was going to come to an end.

However, in those same 18 hours, the world was going to end.

-----

Today was supposed to be a day where Patrick was able to sleep in. After an awesome party and the Northwest Fest and meeting his girlfriend's family, he had every intention of sleeping past 8:00 am. And when he woke up, he was going to spend even more time with his girlfriend and his cousins. However, something felt different about this morning. So different, that it made him open his eyes earlier than he would have, only to be met with the face of his goofy, fun-loving cousin, Mabel.

"Hey, Patrick! You awake?!" She said loudly with a big smile on her face.

While he was surprised to see her, Patrick remained calm and collected. "I am now," he murmured.

"Great! Come on, get up! I found something awesome!" Mabel exclaimed as she jumped up and down on the bed, shaking it along with Patrick. Still groggy from last night's party, Patrick yawned as he sat up. This prompted Mabel to jump off the bed and grab his arm. Pulling him out of the room where Dipper was waiting for them.

As the young girl ran up the stairs, Patrick and Dipper slowly followed after her. Both of them, tired. "Do you have any idea what she's excited about?" Patrick asked.

"No idea," Dipper said with a yawn.

As Mabel cheerfully ran down the hall, they tiredly followed after her. Hardly paying the young girl's energized excitement much mind as they were still exhausted from last night. "Ahh! It's here it's here it's here!" She screamed exclaimed brightly as they arrived at a random door. "Okay, so I was just opening random doors - because I'm a creep - when I found something amazing!"

"If it was worth waking up at seven AM for, that will be amazing," Dipper said, rubbing his eyes.

"Alright, let's see it," Patrick said with a shrug.

"Feast your eyes!" Mabel boldly proclaimed as she opened the door to reveal the closet was filled with various types of fireworks in a box labeled "DO NOT TOUCH!"