Chapter 14

Steve was very surprised at the progress Bucky said he made with the girl. It was like she was a completely different person with him. She had made it clear to Bucky that she didn't want to go back to Hydra at all. The pair talked with the rest of the team, and they decided to let the girl out of the interrogation room.

Bucky and Steve made their way back to the small room to retrieve the teen. They had left her for a while, so when they came back she was resting with her head tucked between her arms on the metal table. She lifted her head to gaze at the pair.

"We're moving you to a different room," Steve told her, gesturing for her to get up.

Adina gladly got up from her chair, and rolled back and forth on the soles of her feet to get rid of any stiffness she had. She stood awaiting the next command.

"Before we head there, you need to get your injuries fully evaluated," Steve said, leaving through the still open door. Noticing Adina's lack of movement, Bucky gestured with his head for her to follow Steve. The remaining two left the interrogation room, and they all walked to the infirmary.

Adina sat on the edge of a hospital bed as the doctor crouched down and unwrapped the bandage on her left leg to inspect the injury. Her left leg had taken a real beating recently, getting blasted by a repulsor and shot not once, but twice. Fortunately for her, she would be fully recuperated soon, as long as she kept up her calorie intake, thanks to the super soldier serum running through her veins.

"The burns from the repulsor are completely healed with no scarring," the lady spoke, "The GSW's are also about healed, but not quite. I would suggest taking it easy for a couple of days and not putting any stress on your left leg."

The doctor took off the bandage, stood up, and threw it in a nearby trash can.

"She's good to go," she announced.

"Thank you, Dr. Cho. And thanks for your discretion," Steve replied.

"It's no problem at all, Captain. I've got a plane to go catch. If you need me anymore, you know how to reach me," Cho spoke as she gathered up her things, depositing them into a black bag.

"Goodbye," she called over her shoulder as she left the medical room.

Steve responded with a goodbye, and then turned back to Adina and Bucky.

"It's getting pretty late, so the tour will have to wait. I'll show you to your room," Steve said.

Adina rose from the bed and followed behind Steve and Bucky. They walked in the wide hallways and took a few turns before arriving at the new room.

"Here we are," Steve spoke, opening the door.

Adina's new room was...a large bedroom? She was expecting a cell, so she was a bit confused on why she was receiving a bedroom, but chose not to question it. She was dead-tired and really wanted to lay down on the bed and wrap herself in its fluffy gray comforter.

"I'll go get you a change of clothes. Bucky can help you settle in," he said as he left the pair awkwardly standing outside the room.

"Um, well, you're in the same wing as Natasha and Wanda. If they can't help, Steve and I are on the level above. You can ask Friday to notify one of us," Bucky said.

"Friday?" Adina asked.

"It's this A.I. lady that Stark programmed into the Compound. You just say her name, and she'll respond. Friday?"

"Yes, Bucket?" an Irish voice sincerely responded.

Bucky grumbled something about Tony Stark under his breath, as Adina stored that nickname into her head for later use.

"It malfunctions sometimes," he muttered. "Anyway, there's a bathroom through this door, and the other door is a closet."

Bucky awkwardly stood by the doorway as Adina went in and checked out the room. She liked the large window panes on the wall that the head of the bed was against. Steve came back with a small pile of clothes in hand and sent them down on the wooden dresser by the bed.

"Here's a few pairs of clothes. We are going to leave you to leave you in this bedroom, and you must stay put. The windows are locked, and Friday will alert us if you open the door. Remember, if you try anything," Steve said, holding up the remote and indicating that she would get shocked if she tried to escape.

"Shouldn't Bucky have that?" Adina innocently asked.

It only made sense to her that he would have it, as he previously was in control of a similar remote at Hydra. Plus, she also felt better knowing Bucky would have the remote than some complete stranger.

"What?" a confused Steve softly muttered.

"Wraith, leave it alone," Bucky spoke in an upset tone.

He didn't appreciate being reminded of the memories that were attached to a similar remote. He remembered shocking the teen girl. Her screams were too familiar. He hadn't wanted to hurt her, but Hydra was in complete control of him. The Winter Soldier was a cruel person.

Bucky left the room without saying goodbye, leaving Steve to worry about what he had missed about that short interaction.

"Someone will come get you in the morning. Goodnight," Steve said, shutting the door behind him, before hurrying off to find Bucky.

Adina stood looking at the gray door that had been shut in her face. She felt bad for upsetting Bucky, but she didn't understand why he was even upset. So, she shook off the guilt and explored her new room.

She was really tired, but she wanted to freshen up before getting some rest. She sifted through the pile of clothes Steve had left for her. She chose a pair of sweatpants and a long-sleeved shirt and headed to the bathroom to clean up.

Fifteen minutes and a warm shower later, Adina changed into the comfy outfit and deposited her old clothes in a pile in the restroom. She looked at her reflection in the mirror and saw her freshly washed, knotty hair that ran past the middle of her back. She rummaged through the vanity's drawers until she found a hairbrush.

She brushed her hair for a good five minutes, trying to get all the tangles out. She also found a packaged toothbrush while she was searching for the hairbrush, so she brushed her teeth.

Now that she felt clean, Adina left the bathroom. She stood at the foot of the bed and looked out the large windows ahead of her. It was dark outside, and she was on the third or fourth floor of the building. Her view was of a large open plain of grass that gave way to an extensive forest.

Adina turned around facing away from the bed, and then fell backwards onto it. It was so soft, she felt like she was sinking into its comfiness. She laid there for a couple of minutes, basking in the softness, before it got to be too much. Her eyes were wide open and she couldn't fall asleep.

She gathered up the gray comforter in her arms and got up. Laying down on the dark hardwood floor next to the bed, she bundled herself up with the blanket. Now, she finally could get some rest. After way too long of a time, she finally drifted into a restless sleep.

Published: 4/5/22