06. state of marriage

◤ ◥

◤                                                                                 ◥

the duke and i, 05x1

One may say modesty is a virtue, yet this author is hardly a virtuous woman. It is therefore my great pleasure to announce the news others questioned, but I never doubted. The diamond of the season has made her match, officially betrothed to the Duke of Hastings. The bride, undoubtedly, is giddy with anticipation over the impending nuptials. An event that will apparently take place sooner rather than later. Of course, there are only two reasons to procure a special license and race to the altar: true love, or concealing a scandal.

Florence clenched her jaw, annoyed by the whole marriage thing. She thought for a second that it was worthy, that her brother had hope for such feeling as love. He proved her wrong as he arrived late to their meeting, her foot bouncing quickly as Dominic stared off the distance, consumed by his own mind "Did we not say ten o'clock?" Lady Danbury asked.

"We did." Daphne replied.

"There he is." Violet announced, all of them turning to see him walking towards them.

Florence rolled her eyes, shaking her head as it was clear her brother had spent the previous hours with a bottle of whiskey by his side "Well, do not make haste on our account." Their mother figure spoke.

"A most heartfelt congratulations, Your Grace. I look forward to counting you as part of our family." Violet said with a smile.

"As do I." He bowed.

Lady Danbury stepped closer to him "Did you bring the bar with you, boy?"

"He brought the entire party, mother." Florence sent him a sarcastic smile as he looked away. Dominic wasn't liking whatever was happening, stepping closer to his twin.

"Perhaps we should promenade?" Daphne suggested, earning a nod from him. Dominic almost didn't let her, if it wasn't for his mother's threatening look. They walked behind the couple, by his friend's side.

"Well, if it isn't the most talked-about couple in the ton. Such a perfect-looking pair." A man commented, stopping before them.

"Indeed. The two of you will make a fine family, I am sure of it." The woman holding onto his arm added.

"Thank you," Daphne replied hesitantly "We are so happy."

"Very much so." Simon said way to quickly. Daphne was going to grab his hand when he pulled it away. The pair before them hummed, leaving them on their own as they continued on walking.