03. state of betrayal

◤                                                                                 ◥

shock and delight, 02x1

Florence dropped the pamphlet in front of her brother. Crossing her arms as he sighed "This wasn't our deal, Simon." He was about to speak when she continued "If you marry what will happen to me?" His eyes softened "I cannot go back to my father. I won't." She stormed out of the room, leaving him to sigh and rub both of his hands down his face. He wasn't able to tell her about his deal with Miss Bridgerton. That, she couldn't know, not yet at least. He once promised, as neither of them wished to marry, he would always take care of her. It all began when he was nine, and Lady Danbury brought a baby with her. Her mother had the same fate as his, but in this case she was no man, so her father left her with his wife's old friend. Since the moment his eyes landed on the small baby, he knew they were destined to be family. And that's when he promised himself to always protect her. No matter what.

There will forever be just two words that come to this author's mind the morning after any good party, "shock" and "delight." Well, dear reader, the scandalous accounts from last night's soiree at Vauxhall are quite shocking and delightful indeed. Emerging, phoenix-like from the ashes of irrelevance, is one Miss Daphne Bridgerton. The illustrious debutante was seen dancing not once, but twice with the season's most eligible and most uncatchable rake, the Duke of Hastings.

"Two dances? With a duke?" Hyacinth asked excitedly while Daphne played the piano. Dominic ignored them, enjoying the book on his hands.

"He was quite taken with your sister, Hyacinth. The entire party was, for that matter. All eyes were on Daphne." Violet replied, approaching the girl by the piano with her plate "At least enjoy some toast, dearest."

"I am not hungry, Mama."

"Are you certain the entire party was not simply eyeing a tear in her dress?" Colin asked.

"Or a misstep she took on the dance floor?" Benedict added.

"Perhaps they were sleeping with their eyes open and coincidentally they were glancing in that direction." Dominic spoke behind his book. The three brothers shared a playful wink before going back to whatever they were doing each.

"I do wonder, Daphne, might we count on the duke at the Crawford ball? Maybe Miss Green could afford to come too." Violet asked her daughter.

"I should think it a fair chance."

"What about the Ramsbury ball, Friday? And what about the grand picnic?"