04. state of friendship

Start from the beginning

Florence smiled tightly "I must warn you, Eloise. It is not easy to find books about Women's rights."

She nodded, scoffing playfully "Yes, of course. But I do not care. You should tell me, sooner or later."

Laughing, Florence grabbed a glass of champagne "I will." As whispers were heard, they both turned to see the arrival of the queen. Next to her, was the Prince Friedrich. Florence gaped as Eloise rolled her eyes.

The queen waved Florence over, as the time she spent there they had talked once or twice. Quickly, she made her way to stand next to Daphne "Prince Friedrich, these are the young ladies I was telling you about, the season's diamond and my friend, Miss Green." Both girls bowed before them.

"So lovely to meet you, Miss Bridgerton, Miss Green." He kissed both of their hands, looking down at their dresses "Your gowns, they are exquisite." Daphne snorted, surprising the people around her, as Simon had told her he would say that.

"My apologies." She said, the girl next to her trying hard not to laugh. Dominic noticed them both talking with the royalty. Raising an eyebrow at the duke who only shook his head with a laugh.

"No apology necessary." The prince replied.

"Perhaps a small one." The queen smiled tightly before glancing at the prince "Dear, wouldn't you love to take Miss Green to the dance floor? I've heard she hasn't stepped foot there yet."

Florence's eyes widened, knowing she couldn't say no to the queen. The prince nodded "Of course. May I?" He held out his arm, which she took with a nervous smile. Before she walked away, she sent Daphne a exasperated look, which made her laugh even more.

Dominic followed them out of the room, as everyone made space for the Prince and the girl with no title. She took a deep breath before they placed themselves in front of the other. Whispers could be heard as Dominic wandered the room. Circling around them, as if searching for his pray. Florence was unable to speak, still trying to comprehend that she was dancing with a prince.

"The Queen told me you're an excellent painter." She chuckled nervously, glancing at the queen who had a stern look on her face.

She quickly replied "I've been practising since I was very young." He nodded, holding his hands out so she could parallel them with hers.

"Very well, have you ever painted someone?"

"Sometimes my brother will let me paint him. I've also made a few paintings for Lady Danbury and just finished one for the queen."

He was surprised, a genuine smile on his face "That's quite interesting. I'm guessing you're talking about your brother Laurence, correct?"

Her own smile faded "No, your majesty. I was referring to the duke, my adoptive brother."

The prince furrowed "But you kept your last name, Green."

"I am not allowed to change it until I marry." She explained, spinning around under his arm until facing him again.

"Do you plan on doing it soon?"

She chuckled nervously, looking over his shoulder to see Dominic. His eyes were more soften than ever before, seeing her laugh with someone else "Maybe if I find the right suitor." That wasn't what she was thinking. Nor what she wanted to say. But wanting to end the conversation, she said that.