04. state of friendship

Beginne am Anfang

"No."

"Good." They continued to look forward. Watching Daphne dance with more suitors, they swore she sent them a pleading look once "Does your sister feel all right?"

Dominic shook his head slightly "Honestly, I do not know." Florence looked up at him with an arched eyebrow, glancing back at the dance floor "Any problems, Miss Green?"

"None, Mr Bridgerton." He closed his eyes for a second, enjoying the way she said his name. Nodding, he turned the other way so she wasn't able to see his rose tinted cheeks.

"Did you find any suitors?" The words left his mouth before he could even process if.

She scoffed slightly, watching Daphne change partner. Unknown to her, Simon was walking just behind them "I already told you, Mr Bridgerton. That I do not wish to marry."

"I don't know, Miss Green. I saw you talking with a man at the last ball. That doesn't happen often." Her eyes widened slightly, recognising what conversation he was talking about.

Clearing her throat, she added "Are you calling yourself less than a man, Mr Bridgerton?" She turned her whole body to him while Simon tried not to laugh. Dominic gaped as she continued, "Perhaps... A boy." She smirked. Pleased, Simon walked away from the scene. She was going to do the same when his hand gripped her arm.

"Let me show you how much of a man I am." He whispered, her breath getting heavy as their faces neared each other.

She gulped, taking a step back "It was my brother," She whispered, shocking him "By blood."

"My apologies, Miss Green." She shook her head, looking back to Daphne.

"Your sisters are lucky, not all families are fine with women in the linage." Dominic looked down, then back at Daphne who seemed uncomfortable "Perhaps you should save her from all those men. There's no good intention behind those eyes."

He frowned slightly "You can know that just by looking at their eyes?" She looked up at him, locking eyes as she tilted her head to a side. She found no bad intentions, maybe even a little bit of sadness.

"It may surprise you how much eyes say." She said in a soft tone before leaving him on his own. Hoping he would follow her advice.

Dominic sighed, nearing his sister with a tight smile "Pardon me, Lord Tompkins. But my mother is looking for Daphne." He nodded, letting the young girl go. She breathed out in relief.

"Thank you, brother." He leaded her to the duke, where he thought her to be more safe.

Smiling, he shrugged "It was Miss Green's idea." The pair shared a look before nodding, watching him go away.

"Hi, Miss Green." The girl turned around, seeing Eloise with a bright smile.

"Please, call me Florence, dear."

She nodded "Right. Well, then you shall call me Eloise."

"Of course. Did you read the book I recommended?"

Her eyes seemed to shine as she nodded "Yes! Oh, my. I loved it. You must tell me from where do you find so many of those books."