CHAPTER 5 : Part 2

Warning : No comparisons with the dark past please... Read the AN below. Thank you. Happy reading!

Anirudh's p.o.v

There are moments in life when you feel that your time in this planet is coming to an end. At that moment, you come to a quirky conclusion that all your hard work, efforts and hopes for making this planet survivable for both you and its inhabitants were utterly useless. That thought of the moment make you believe your life itself was a blatant lie – more like a novel that was written without an aim or purpose, its existence itself cared or remembered by nobody. And then, an immediate ray of light enters the dark alleys of your mind. It illuminates its path and reminds you of the bonds you shared and moments you created in its wake. It instils a new hope in you – a hope to survive, a hope to create more memories, a hope to continue your efforts because you know it's not going to be in vain. After experiencing that moment, now I stood here in front of the consequences my actions - that was fired up by that moment - eventually brought in.

I stood glaring ahead into Thaku Maa's eyes. Her challenging black orbs daring me to prove whatever I said to be true. But the fire in them cannot stop me from accepting that dare because I know I'll put my own life to keep the promises I made yesterday. I can't hesitate when it's about her – my better half.

"Jhoot bolun toh jaan lelo meri! Kal tak toh theek se zubaan tak nahi chala rahi thi aur ab dekho keise ujhal kood kar rahi hai apki beti didi. Subah rasoyi ghar mein kisi ko theek se kaam karne nahi diya, phir aangan mein pata nahi kya kya kar rahi thi. Aur ab, Jamai babu ne ghar ke gha tak nahi bole ki saara samaan bandhke aagayi apse vidaayi lene" Rimjhim Kaki said to Sumati Maa, giving Bondita and I inquisitive glances now and then.

Sumati Maa smiled and replied.

"Ismein pareshani kis baat ki hai Rimjhim? Meri beti apne Pati ke sath apne ghar wapas ja rahi hai. Mein bas itna chahti hoon ki woh sadaa khush rahe aur sath sath apne gharwalon ko bhi khush rakhe"

"Yeh kya baat huyi Maa? Tu toh aise baat kar rahi hai jeise humara koyi rishta bacha hi nahi hai. Kya ap log mere gharwale nahi hai?" Bondita gave her signature pose.

"Haan, hai hum tumhare gharwale" Maa cupped her cheeks and beamed at her "Isiliye tum wahan khush raho taki hum bina kisi chinta ki yahan chain se reh sake. Samjhi meri pyaari shaitan?"

"Ji, shaintan ki pyaari Maa"

They hugged. I smiled. But I couldn't smile for long because a throat cleared behind me. I prepared myself and plastered a grin before turning and taking blessings from Thaku Maa. To my surprise, she didn't back away from blessing me and actually placed her hand on my head after a moment of hesitation.

That's right! Thaku Maa did! Kalindi Das actually blessed me!

This moment should be highlighted in history! A voice that sounded like Barrister Anirudh chuckled inside me.

So Kalindi Das is out of our fight or flight list then? His companion questioned.

"Apse kuch baat karni hai mujhe Jamai babu" The person in question announced out of the blue.

"Akele mein" she added, probably after seeing me giving her an expectant look.

Ah never mind, I guess I was too excited. I'm not going to strike her off the list any time sooner. The freak in white sighed.

I glanced back at Bondita who gave me a please-try-not-to-create-a-situation-that-will-force-us-to-flee-from-here-again look and I gulped before following Thaku Maa's lead. She took us to the garden at the front, brooding for quite some time. I took the initiative.