“I’d best go and rescue Louisa from Arlington, though if I know him, he’s going to be less than impressed at having to deal with me. If you go to conference room A, we’ll join you there,” Layla told him.

“Okay. Layla, you do realise that I have to walk through reception to get to Room A, don’t you?”

“Yes, and I will be watching you every step of the way.”

“Lieutenant, this thing you have for looking at my butt…” he teased.

“You fool, I want to see how Arlington reacts when you walk through reception. I am counting on Louisa asking you where Pemberton is. When she does, she will call you by your name. I’ve a hunch your presence is going to really piss Arlington off.” 

“Well, if it does, we are even, because his presence pisses me off.” John grinned as he opened the door. “See you in five minutes.”

Arlington was sat impatiently flicking through a magazine. John smiled; the American was obviously not happy about being kept waiting. 

As Layla had predicted, Louisa spoke to him the moment he entered the reception area, saying “Sergeant Porter, do you know when Major Pemberton is expected back?”

Out of the corner of his eye, John saw recognition dawn on Arlington as he looked up to see who had entered and if they were important. John watched in silent amusement as the colour drained from the American’s face.

Didn’t think you’d have to meet me face to face, did you mate, John silently taunted, his face impassive. 

Careful not to show any hint of recognition, John walked up to the desk and smiled at the receptionist.

“No, I haven’t, but you know what these meetings at Whitehall can be like-- they can drag on for hours. Lieutenant Thompson is around if there is a problem…” He turned and looked at Frank Arlington pointedly.

“Thank you, Sir.” The receptionist looked worried.

“Louisa, it is Louisa isn’t it?” John asked. The young receptionist nodded. “I was away on a mission when you were appointed, so you don’t know, but I like my friends to call me John.” He wasn’t sure if the receptionist had picked up the emphasis on the word friend but he knew Arlington had. 

He smiled at the receptionist before he continued to walk towards the conference room.

As promised, it was less than five minutes before Layla and Arlington entered the conference room. He heard them before he saw them because Arlington was mouthing off about wanting to be treated with a little more courtesy. 

“Mr. Arlington, have a seat, please. I understand that you know Sergeant Porter?” Layla asked over Arlington’s complaining.

Arlington stopped speaking abruptly and looked at Porter, who was leaning against the wall, his arms folded.